FPS drops after playing for awhile

G

I'm having a problem while playing games on my PC. Everything goes fine for awhile, buat after around 20 minutes, FPS would start to drop for a few seconds before going back to normal. For example,I'd play a game with a stable 60 fps, then after 20 minutes, FPS would fluctuate badly down to 40-45 range. Running the game longer would make the drop even worse, often reaching 20 FPS.

Now, I've [urlExt=http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1941673/fps-dropping-playing.html]read [/urlExt] [urlExt=http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1941673/fps-dropping-playing.html]many [/urlExt] [urlExt=http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2823006/huge-fps-drops-150-playing-games-graphics-card-laptop-crashes-info-inside.html]posts [/urlExt] here, and most of them point to CPU / GPU throttling due to high temperature. But, in all honesty, I don't think that's what going on here...

To check whether my CPU or GPU is indeed throttling, I ran Prime95 and Furmark to test the CPU / GPU.

■ First the CPU. Ran Prime95's stress test while monitoring the temperature, clockspeed, percentage (pardon me, I don't know what it's called, utilization?) for 30 minutes (the point when the game would start showing lag). Nothing looked suspicious. CPU was 100% all the time, stuck at 3.1 GHz (maximum speed), and max temperature was 62 C (143 F), way below the supposed 80+ C (176+ F) throttling temperature.
Nothing's wrong with the CPU

■ Next up, the GPU. Ran Furmark's stress test for 30 minutes too. Fans went loud and all. Logged the GPU's status using GPU-Z. And, nothing looked suspicious (again). GPU load was around 90-98%. GPU's temperature rose to 68 C (154 F) and stayed there under load that was Furmark. GPU Core Clock maxed out at 1404.8 MHz, stable. Fan Speed was at 69% all the time (not sure why it didn't go 100%). No signs of GPU throttling (Core Clock didn't go down, and I've heard people went 90 C (194 F) without adverse effects on their GPU, so 68 C (154 F) seems like a safe temperature for me)
So, nothing's wrong with the GPU either.

So, the CPU doesn't throttle. The GPU doesn't either. For the last test, I decided to do a 'real-world' test, by using actual games. I fired up my trusty Mirror's Edge (I have no choice), and played until the lag appeared. I checked the log and, well, no throttling. The GPU usage fluctuated a bit, but no extreme drop or anything (max was 98%, min was 90%) (temperature was right at the ballpark at around 70 C (158 F). CPU was at 80-100% with normal temperature. CPU and GPU usage was exactly the same, both when the game ran smooth 60 FPS and when it started to lag, dropping to 40 FPS. Lowering the graphics settings changed nothing, the game still drops to 40 FPS intermittently. Tested Just Cause 3 too, same results.

The weird thing is when I ran Furmark, FPS stayed at a constant 76 FPS, no drop at all, even after 20 minutes, the point in which all games would start showing some FPS drop.

So, what's happening here? The game lags, but not the benchmark. No CPU throttling or GPU throttling. Nothing is overheating. What would it be? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks for reading, it might sounds like a rant, but as it says in the rules, try to be as detailed as possible. Cheers!

EDIT : System specs :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 3 1200
GPU : NVidia GTX 970 (the Gigabyte G1 gaming one)
RAM : 8 GB DDR4 Apacer
HDD : 500 GB Seagate 2.5 inch (not sure which one)
PSU : FSP Hexa+ II 500W

No overclocking / underclocking anything, everything's still stock. I have no knowledge at all about those things. Again, cheers! Ask me anything if you ever need more info.

Solution
You should check your Task Manager and see if you have any extra programs running in the back, sometimes software bundles itself with stupid little dinghies that slow down performance, also, if you upgraded your gpu make sure you uninstall the drivers for the previous card ;). GG M8

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished
You should check your Task Manager and see if you have any extra programs running in the back, sometimes software bundles itself with stupid little dinghies that slow down performance, also, if you upgraded your gpu make sure you uninstall the drivers for the previous card ;). GG M8

Solution