FPS Drops after Windows Re-Install & New 144hz Monitor! HELP!

Artur Minacov

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Hello guys,

I just purchased a ASUS VG248 Series 144 Hz Monitor. It is working really well. Before I received it, I have re-installed my Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, and I have installed all of the latest drivers for my mother board GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H and for my Graphic Card: GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost. (Appeared on their site as 600 Series).

Before the re-install and on my 60 hz monitor (old HP), I was running around 250-300 FPS stable in game (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive), and about 150 FPS on League of Legends. Now, I am running barely 100-150 FPS on both games, and I can see drastic FPS drops in game that does not allow me to play properly, especially on a competitive level.

I am about to re-install Windows again, perhaps something was not right.

NOTE: I also cleaned my PC with a tissue on which I have put some 70% alcool (dumb idea Ive heard), but it was not really liquid, it was very warm so I could remove the dust from the parts. Could that be causing the issue? Cause everything loads and works fine, nothing is broken, just some insane FPS instability :/

Screenshot of my drivers being up to date:
http://gyazo.com/2ec8dc2ae2b2a865c9292fdd0ed04b26

Screenshot of EVGA Precision:
http://gyazo.com/8d3f0346c2bc0942ddcdb806d9a35630

Please do help!

Artur Minacov

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014

I have tried to plug my old 60hz monitor and it still has insane FPS drops as before, so it has nothing to do with the monitor I presume.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Regardless, whatever happened was a result of the windows install, not the fault of the monitor.
The monitor simply displays an output from the system, and as long as the resolution is the same the performance would be the same.

If running at a higher refresh rate than your monitor can display, regardless of it being 5 frames or 100 extra there would be no visual difference.
If you are certain you are noticing a difference, it may perhaps be an issue of stuttering, you need to gauge the minimum frame rate. If there is micro-stuttering your fps will be "on average" higher than your monitors refresh rate, but in reality it is varying between 30-300 fps.

Try using OLDER nvidia drivers and see if the issue is resolved, newer is not always better.

Artur Minacov

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014

I do have a higher resolution. I am using 1920 instead of 1240 in game. However, even if I had an obvious FPS drop due to this, it will not be as unstable. I am starting at 150, and droping to 80, and even sometimes 60. That is insane.

I tried old drivers, did not work.

Sorry. Will do.

I am not overlocking my CPU or GPU.

Processor: Intel Core i5-3350P CPU

As shown in one of the screenshot, I get around 24 to 50 degrees. Perfectly normal as Ive heard.

My problem really is not the less FPS part, its the instability caused by something in my system. As mentioned, I used to have 250-300 stable FPS in game with my 60 hz Monitor, and a resolution around 1240x. Now I get 100-125, but get constant drops around 60 to 80 fps, that is unplayable.

Thank you for the help guys, hope we can find something, cause I can not understand it.