[SOLVED] FPS drops all of a sudden

Feb 27, 2020
Hey everyone;

So I’ve been having this issue as of 2 days ago, not too sure what’s going on, I was playing games fine with over 100fps for like all games and then all of a sudden I now get like 20-10fps in every game I play. I have done malware check, windows defender scan and everything on those says that no threats have been detected

specs:

MSI B360-A pro

I5 8400

G.skill ripjaws v series 16gb

EVGA supernova 650

Solution
@goldengheco
Clearly something changed ... the hard part is figuring out what it is. Malware check is a good idea and Windows Defender is a decent first choice, but I would back that up with Malwarebytes (free version). I don't think you will find anything, but it's worth a go.

A more likely issue is that a driver updated and something got messed up. I would head over to your GPU makers website, get the newest driver and install it. Other drivers could be to blame, but graphics is the most likely.

Another software update could be the issue. I would open windows update, click history (3rd link down), and see if anything updated in last couple days.

While, unlikely, it's not impossible that hardware is the issue...
@goldengheco
Clearly something changed ... the hard part is figuring out what it is. Malware check is a good idea and Windows Defender is a decent first choice, but I would back that up with Malwarebytes (free version). I don't think you will find anything, but it's worth a go.

A more likely issue is that a driver updated and something got messed up. I would head over to your GPU makers website, get the newest driver and install it. Other drivers could be to blame, but graphics is the most likely.

Another software update could be the issue. I would open windows update, click history (3rd link down), and see if anything updated in last couple days.

While, unlikely, it's not impossible that hardware is the issue. Especially if a fan on your GPU has stopped spinning. Pop open the lid and see if everything is working as expected.

Past that, we get to the head scratching. I guess I would open "resource monitor", open a game and then alt-tab to see if anything was amiss (very high or very low resource use that does not make sense).

Solution