Question FPS drops and jitters on a high-end PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
Hello there everyone!

I've made quite a few forum posts on different forums in attempt to find a solution to my computer problem that I have been suffering with for a long time now.

Every single game that I play, I encounter FPS drops and jitters, its literally unplayable and extremely upsetting as I really want to play new games with my gf and just games in general but unfortunately that isn't the case :/ I've invested a lot of money into my PC and a lot of time building it ect; I've tried so many different "fixes" in hopes one will help but literally none have whatsoever.

I've enabled XMP, I've reinstalled windows multiple times, I've tried using only one monitor at a time, different hardware, different ingame settings, different NVIDIA settings, OC'd my CPU to 5ghz, many different things within my BIOS, OC'd my GPU to as far as it can go, disabled all windows things like gamebar ect unless theres anything else and the list goes on and on and on; my temps are completely fine under load, my frames go to the cap which is 240 (same as my monitor refresh rate) but just constantly drop and jitter everywhere. Benchmarks lag, every single game lags; only game that doesn't lag for whatever reason is Valorant... my PC is a pretty high-end PC and I just wish I could figure out what is wrong with my computer so that I can actually play more than one game and enjoy the thing I invested so much money and time into :(

I have swapped physically every single piece of hardware in my computer possible, my PC has these issues no matter what parts are inside.

My PC specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hdt4K3

Videos of sutters and FPS drops:
View: https://youtu.be/4UXNh0Q7oJg

View: https://youtu.be/UNFRax4F4gQ

View: https://youtu.be/9Rjrt4cFNT8
View: https://youtu.be/lTixRwJtmIc

Some videos are a bit older but the same things are happening to this day.

Last edited:
So I keep my cpu temps under 75c, usually 70-72c using an aggressive fan setting for cpu cooler/pump. I don't care about noise because I use headphones all the time. Y our gpu temps are fine. What drive do you game from? Have you tried using 144hz refresh rate for both monitors at the same time? I know you said you tried every conceivable setting in Nvidia control panel. Would you mind posting your 3d settings, PhysX settings page and resolution/refresh page? I also notice in Fortnite you did not enable multithreaded rendering. I suggest you try enabling that, it may smooth things out since Fortnite is cpu intensive. Also use this simple test while you are online gaming, it will show if you have a packet loss problem maybe lagging things up for you. Packet Loss Test – Test Your Connection Quality Do you play on wifi or Ethernet? do you get these problems when you play a game offline?

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
So I keep my cpu temps under 75c, usually 70-72c using an aggressive fan setting for cpu cooler/pump. I don't care about noise because I use headphones all the time. Y our gpu temps are fine. What drive do you game from? Have you tried using 144hz refresh rate for both monitors at the same time? I know you said you tried every conceivable setting in Nvidia control panel. Would you mind posting your 3d settings, PhysX settings page and resolution/refresh page? I also notice in Fortnite you did not enable multithreaded rendering. I suggest you try enabling that, it may smooth things out since Fortnite is cpu intensive. Also use this simple test while you are online gaming, it will show if you have a packet loss problem maybe lagging things up for you. Packet Loss Test – Test Your Connection Quality Do you play on wifi or Ethernet? do you get these problems when you play a game offline?
Hi there! sorry for taking so long to reply, I appreciate you responding to me :)

I'm glad my gpu temps are fine thank you for clearing that up :), I have tried both monitors 144 it seems to still have the fps issues :/, I can post my settings below for you, I play games off my 860 evo 1 TB SSD but the issue happens no matter what drive the games are on; even tried plugging one drive in at a time to see if its faulty but still same issues no matter what and I can do the packet loss thing but Im pretty certain its not my packet loss or anything because I always have a stable 8 to 10 ping and Im connected via ethernet and the yeah the problem happens online and offline :(

View: https://imgur.com/a/eyAX78U

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
Did you maybe use a 2070 before your 3070 showed up?
Oh I'm very sorry, I'm an idiot and forgot that the settings for the OpenGL Rendering is out dated, every setting in that photo is what I use now but I have my 3070 selected instead of the 2070 also have it selected in my PhysX settings; apologies bro.

I did however use a 2070 before my 3070 but I did use DDU and have also since then did a clean windows install.

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
In that first screenshot it looks like only 3 sticks of RAM have been recognised? That would mean 1/3 of your RAM is running at 1/2 the bandwidth of the rest.
Apologies, completely forgot that atm I only have 3 sticks as one stick died but when I had 4 sticks the issue Im having still persisted :(

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
Drop down to 2 stick in slots A2 & B2 and see how it runs. A faulty stick and then mismatched RAM could be problematic.
I did use to have 2 sticks and it still happened but it is possbile that the stick that was faulty also has a faulty second half so will have to give that a go but it is the same ram.

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
Have you tried running the gpu in the other pcie 16 slot?
I haven't no but when I oringinally started this PC build I was on a 2070 on an amd motherboard and still had the same exact problem, since then ive changed literally every part out even the GPU and still got the problem so Im really not sure what could be causing the issue

I had another look at your temps and I missed that your cpu temps seem high under load. This could cause a problem with the performance of the game. Ideally I would try to get the cpu temps, all cores, in the 70's. Your core temps are all over the place and this could be your performance problem. Try an aggressive cooler fan speed to keep the temps down and see if the performance gets better for gaming.

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
I had another look at your temps and I missed that your cpu temps seem high under load. This could cause a problem with the performance of the game. Ideally I would try to get the cpu temps, all cores, in the 70's. Your core temps are all over the place and this could be your performance problem. Try an aggressive cooler fan speed to keep the temps down and see if the performance gets better for gaming.
very song for the long reply, i wasnt aware anyone replied to my post since the last message. Ill be sure to try that asap, thank you very much. Could the high temps be the reasoning for the really bad load in lag in dying light 2?

When you run your games, open task manager and see what background, if any, programs are running. High temps can slow down cpu intructions. Not saying yours are horrible but some cpu's are more sensitive to heat than others. When you installed the cooler what kind of thermal paste did you use? And just asking, sometimes the cooler copper plate comes with plastic covering the thermal paste. Was it removed?

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
When you run your games, open task manager and see what background, if any, programs are running. High temps can slow down cpu intructions. Not saying yours are horrible but some cpu's are more sensitive to heat than others. When you installed the cooler what kind of thermal paste did you use? And just asking, sometimes the cooler copper plate comes with plastic covering the thermal paste. Was it removed?
Yeah I took the cover off and used the pre applied thermal paste that came with the AIO, heard corsair used decent stuff but maybe I heard wrong not sure...

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
i dont have anything open really when gaming either

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS