Question FPS drops and microstutter in all games

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Hello guys.

I started having problems with my setup, huge fps drops in games and microstuttering occur all the time. Everytime it occurs, one of the fans in my desktop (i dont know which one though) start spinning faster, and when is stabilizes again the speed goes back to normal, and this process takes form again every 2-3 seconds.

Ive tried the following, without sucess:

1. Checking for malware
  2. Reinstalling graphics card driver

Any of them worked. Im out of ideas as im not an expert when it comes to hardware and knowing your components.

Benchmark and setup:

UserBenchmarks: Game 57%, Desk 68%, Work 47%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 - 80.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-3GB - 59.5%
SSD: Kingston A400 240GB - 33.8%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 98.9%
RAM: Unknown 9905678-023.A00G 1x8GB - 41.9%
MBD: Asrock H110M-HDV R3.0

Looking for advices and opinions.

Sounds like an overheating issue to me.

Check temperatures upon gaming.

(by the way, a lot less likely but still an issue to consider: the SSD you are using, I have it in my rig too and sometimes it is just extremely slow. Are the games you are playing on the SSD or on the HDD?)

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Sounds like an overheating issue to me.

Check temperatures upon gaming.

(by the way, a lot less likely but still an issue to consider: the SSD you are using, I have it in my rig too and sometimes it is just extremely slow. Are the games you are playing on the SSD or on the HDD?)

Thank you for the reply, sure will do but i must ask, what is the average temperature? And how can i check that? I have a program called CoreTemp, but it only shows my CPU temperatures. Should i worry about my GPU temperatures too?

Oh and all the games are on my HDD by the way.

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Download the latest bios,then unpack it (it's a zip file) after that put it on an empty usb stick (fat32) and restart the pc to get into the bios,there will be an update tool,just follow the steps. Don't interrupt until done.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-HDV R3.0/#BIOS

use rev. 7.50 and download the instant flash version for use in the bios,use this is safest bet.

What should i do after installing this bios?

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Set XMP to enabled,maybe change other settings you migth have changed in time like bootorder and test again. See how it does after the bios update.

I updated it.

I cant get into my DRAM Timing Configuration window in order to enable XMP, its locked, but instead i changed some stuff on DRAM Tweaker.

Freq to 2400MHz.
tCL, tRCD and tRP all to 17.
tRAS to 39.

Tell me if i did something wrong or how to acess the DRAM Configs to enable XMP. Ill update you about performance in your next reply.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You've got some pretty horrible ram with those timings. I would try and set the voltage to 1.35V , timings at 15-15-15-35 Command Rate (CR) to 1T,see if that wil work stable. Might want to use memtest to see if it is,also a benchmark like Cinebench.

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
H110 motherboards don't support XMP if I am not mistaken.

Mayhaps your single channel ram is the source of your troubles
I will get another RAM asap

Fun Fact: XMP appears as an option when im changing my timing but its in grey and i cant select it. Guess you are right, the motherboard doesnt support it.

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
You've got some pretty horrible ram with those timings. I would try and set the voltage to 1.35V , timings at 15-15-15-35 Command Rate (CR) to 1T,see if that wil work stable. Might want to use memtest to see if it is,also a benchmark like Cinebench.
Sure, just did that, but theres no way i can change my CR, its stuck on 2N and set to Auto...

Should i maintain my Frequency in 2400MHz? Now with the new configs you gave me i changed it to 2100.

Last edited:

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
I ran the tests. Looks like theres nothing wrong with my RAM according to Memtest and my Cinebench score is 1901cb whatever that means.

After all that i think my PC improved a little bit, but those main problems still persist. Its not like some months ago, and when i say that i really mean it, something happened and the desktop now have all those problems, out of nowhere.

Ill obviously accept more sugestions you guys have, maybe its the HDD? Its worth mentioning that this HDD is my second one this year since the first one "slowly" stopped working in the period of just a few months(2 - 3)(was presenting some problems like slowness and noise, thats why i bought the SSD, and some time after that the HDD stopped working.), and after that my PSU died too, maybe 3 months after the HDD went out.

Thats why i agreed when someone mentioned that the problem could be the Motherboard and some other voltage related stuff since 2 of my components just blacked out.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If previous hdd was suddenly dying and this one as well might it be the psu that gives problems,like ripple out of control or voltages. What psu do you use?

Looked at those pics,but your motherboard can't be read by that software when it comes to voltages so might well be that. Probably should have asked about it before.

Should i maintain my Frequency in 2400MHz? Now with the new configs you gave me i changed it to 2100.
i would btw set the speed to 2400 as it is capable of it.

One more thing,in the bios you have this,

zVZfTRc.png

can you set that to XMP? That might just give the old timings now i think about it so the lower timings would be preferred.

Last edited:

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
If previous hdd was suddenly dying and this one as well might it be the psu that gives problems,like ripple out of control or voltages. What psu do you use?

i would btw set the speed to 2400 as it is capable of it.

One more thing,in the bios you have this,

zVZfTRc.png

can you set that to XMP? That might just give the old timings now i think about it so the lower timings would be preferred.

Ok so i changed it back to 2400.

My PSU now is from a brand called Knup, i believe its 500w cause the price is very close to the one i had before and it looks like a 500w in comparison to some internet images. i opened my desktop to check but theres no information on it except for the brand.

And no, i cannot access this option in my BIOS.

luccamenabo

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Make sure you pick something decent.

I didnt... And i think its broken.
When i try to measure the molex connections it just goes past 1000 volts when i set it to 20 DCV(the right selection) and the screen goes blank.

Probably will buy another one but it has to be in the next month cause i dont have money anymore