Question FPS Drops and Stuttering with good PC specs ?

Oct 7, 2023
Hello everyone,

my pc specs are as following:
GPU: RTX 2070 Super
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core
RAM: 16 GB
Display: 60hz 3840 x 2160

I built that PC approximately 4 years ago with a friend and it ran Warzone and Apex Legends effortlessly. After the hype I started playing CSGO and tried Apex in that time a few times. CSGO ran fine and Apex had some stutters and lags that did not bother me because I mainly played CS. After the release of CS2 previously I got stutters and massive fps drops there as well and just thought it is due to the hasty release. So I went back to Apex and had the same experience. Even TF2 has massive lags, stutters and fps drops.

I have a download speed of around 15 mbyte/s and normally have a ping around 40-60ms. There are constantly stutters and fps drops while playing while my graphics card only runs on 40% max. The temperature of the graphics card is at 60 degrees celcius and the processor at 50-80 degrees celcius. I even cleaned my PC, not dismantling it but cleaning it thoroughly as it is possible .

I am really frustrated since I do not know what I can or should do and can not understand how the performance is so bad even after the years. Does anybody have a clue or idea what the problem is or how I could find it??

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

You could try and see if using DDU, then reinstalling the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right clock installer>Run as Administrator, helps your predicament out.

Stuttering is caused by a temporary lack of a critical resource.
This is commonly cpu, but it also could be ram.

What is your cpu cooler?

My suspicion is that you have occasional thermal throttling.
50-80c. is ok for a cpu temperature, but that is an average of some sorts.
You should care about individual occurences.
Ryzen can throttle at 85c. (I am more experienced with intel where the throttle point is 100c.)

Run Hwmonitor and look at individual core temperatures and clock rates.
If you see85c. in red, it indicates that you have throttled at some point and recovered.

If your cooler is an aio, it is likely starting to fail.