Question FPS drops caused by windows explorer

Dec 27, 2021
In only one game, Xplane 11, there will be these FPS drops at random intervals which happen for about a second and then immediately recover. After monitoring Process Lasso while the drops were happening, I noticed a consistency of explorer.exe popping up as #2 in CPU utilization while the drops were happening, and then going back to its normal spot when the FPS recovered. There is no consistency to this and I have tried about everything I can find/think of to do (ex. disable search indexing) to stop it, nothing has worked. Attached is a video of Process Lasso recorded when the drop was happening, you will notice explorer.exe jumps to number 2 and then back down, when it jumps is when the drop is happening. View the video

Thanks in advance for anyone with a reply.

Ralston18

Titan
The 2 second video is way too short/fast for me to see anything.....

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Where did you get Xplane 11?

Check Task Manager Startup for any unexpected or unknown apps being launched at startup.

Check Task Scheduler for some app being triggered and subsequently trying to launch Explorer.

Try using Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to work out what may be happening.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Dec 27, 2021
The video was really short just because that was the only part that I recorded that showed explorer.exe jumping to #2, if you watch just below xplane, you will see this (image attached).

Specs: Ryzen 5 3600x, RTX 2060, 16gb ram, 600w psu, Xplane installed on a 2tb samsung 970 evo plus, Windows 11 Home v21H2

My copy of xplane was bought from steam.

No unknown programs are enabled to launch at startup.

Which part of task scheduler do I check to see that? Never used it before.

Will try that although I'm not really sure how that program works either.

Last edited: