Question Fps drops, CPU usage spikes, GPU usage drops, but no high temps, in a newly built PC

Feb 17, 2019
Hello

I'm making this question in search for aid with my PC, I'm really desperate, I've searched everywhere for months, tried everything, but still get the same fps drops. The system has almost a year now and it always had the same problem. I hope to get some help from anyone, at least someone must have gone through this. Please.

My specs:
Z270-HD3 GIGABYTE MB (BIOS version F9)
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
i5-7600K
8GB of Ballistix 2400MHz RAM (2x4)
Pirated Windows 7 Ultimate installed on a Kingston 120GB SSD
Almost all games and programs installed in a separated 1TB WD HDD
850W 80+GOLD EVGA PSU
CoolerMaster 212 EVO cooler
Nothing weird like external hdd's or anything plugged in the back, just my g502 logitech mouse and my GX keyboard

This issue happens on almost every game, tried CSGO, APEX, GTA V, Terraria, Penumbra, Amnesia, max and min settings, every resolution and still get fps drops. EXCEPT for Rocket League, this game works perfectly fine.
Watching closely to MSI afterburner when I got these split second freezes I got temps around 60 - 70 celsius on the GPU and CPU but I noticed drops in GPU usage, and spikes in CPU usage, except in Rocket League. I don't know why. I'll be sure to update this if I can with more findings and tests, sorry If someting is wrong with this post, I'm new to the forum thing.

I tried:
Moving games to the SSD
The empty standby list for the RAM
Playing with BIOS settings recommended in some forums and other ones for the sake of fixing it
Playing with group policies, register keys and more in Windows
Overclocking the processor, from 4GHz up to 4.6GHz using the "processor upgrade" feature from the BIOS
Using the processor only at 3.8GHz (without overclocking)
Different drivers for the graphics card
Changing BIOS version
Disabling core parking
Disabling C states
Disabling HPET
Swapping the GTX 1060 6GB for a 3GB GTX 1060 also from Gigabyte
Removing CPU and reinsert it
Renew thermal paste
Changing PSU cables
Turning on XMP profiles BUT NOT CHANGING ANY VALUES, JUST LEAVING IT AT 2400MHz
Using Windows 10
Reinstalling Windows 10
Changing from Windows 10 to Windows 7
Reinstalling Windows 7
Searching for Malware or Viruses with various antiviruses
Looking for strange apps running in background with the task manager
Updating drivers
Downloading software from Gigabyte's site like chipset updates

Stressing GPU and CPU one at a time doesn't show any signs of stutter, but when I stress both of them at the same time GPU drops depending on the quality of the settings in FurMark, lesser MSAA equals less amount of usage lost in every drop.

I'm going to go crazy with the amount of things and time I put into fixing this problem without any success.

Other thing I noticed is that in CPU intensive games like GTA V it gets to the point where it is unbearable, every one or two seconds I get a microfreeze, in Apex Legends happens too, but in CSGO it happens every 5 to 10 minutes. And well there are games like Rocket League that run perfectly I don't know why.

A friend of mine has almost the exact same setup, but he has an ultra gaming K3 MOBO, and a 550 PSU, and he doesn't get any stutters. Could it be my motherboard the one that is causing the stutters? Does anyone know if this particular motherboard is crappy or something like that? I was told a Z270 MB would be fine for my processor and overclocking.
Please help me, I would do anything to have a smooth gaming experience as I was axpecting when I assembled my system. I put my trust in you guys, you're my last resort.

I thank you all for the support from the bottom of my heart.

Last edited: