FPS drops due to back graphics card?

Tom Pake

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Hi so I've had this computer here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012OU73US/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for about 2 years now I've cleaned out and such so nothing there wrong but from what I've noticed when trying to play Shadow of The Tomb Raider I get constant lag spikes where my game drops from 70 fps to 18 or 30 which actually freezes the game for a second and is annoying. I went to Canyourunit.com and they told me that my graphics card is out of date to run the game on recommended specs as well as Assassin's Creed Origins always notified me that my graphics card wasn't good enough to play it yet I had no issues. So do I buy a new one or what?

Solution
different graphical settigns impact the system more than thers.

shadows, SSAO, liquid, texture detail, etc are all ones that are major performance ones. (naming and stuff varies between titles)
think tomb raider has SMAA as a setting? lowering that is likely to lessen pc burden most of any setting change.

and assuming if the GPU is the problem then upgrading to a better one is what you would want for better settigns (though fiddle aorudn with settings to see if you can get current one to work well enoguh with you if u dont wanna spend $)
considering the game(tomb raider) min. requires radeon hd 7770 and that PC has a R9 390x

Should not be the GPU's issue.

on AC it requries a r9 270 min...which the r390 beats also.

again not liekly a GPU issue.

could be a driver issue or something else.
but that PC shouldn have an issue with either of those games.

HOWEVER

try to reduce the graphics settings.

if the game is having issues on the "recommended" settigns it may be assumign you have the recommended gpu for game

in tomb raiders its the AMD Radeon RX 480 (which is better than the one in that pc)

Tom Pake

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Well I've reduced the graphics to just high but am still having these issues of major fps drops so do you suggest I lower them even more? Shouldn't I in the case of wanting them to be higher get a better graphics card? I tried looking into updating the drivers and no apparent updates are available.

different graphical settigns impact the system more than thers.

shadows, SSAO, liquid, texture detail, etc are all ones that are major performance ones. (naming and stuff varies between titles)
think tomb raider has SMAA as a setting? lowering that is likely to lessen pc burden most of any setting change.

and assuming if the GPU is the problem then upgrading to a better one is what you would want for better settigns (though fiddle aorudn with settings to see if you can get current one to work well enoguh with you if u dont wanna spend $)

Solution

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
I have that same card and I've noticed that, at least mine, has a hard time self regulating it's fan speed high enough to keep it cool. I have to crank my fans speed up in WattMan to keep it cool enough for some games. Have you checked what the temp reading is? That card runs HOT. Crank that sucker up and put on some noise canceling headphones because boy is it loud! At least my Sapphire R9 390x is!