Question FPS drops, freezes, stuttering and more | Ryzen 2700X | RTX 2070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2019
Hello guys,

I'm fighting against massive fps drops and lags and stutterings.

My Hardware:
Ryzen 2700X
MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Nvidia RTX 2070
16gb DDR4
  1. Screen 144hz 1440p
  2. Screen 60hz 1440p
Only SSDs

Im playing all games in Fullscreen. CPU and GPU never goes over 60%... Only if there are some loadings like first initialize of a game.

Some Issues:
  • Sometimes in PUBG and Fortnite after 5 - 10 Minutes I got a Freeze for 10 - 20 Seconds. After that there is no freeze only if I restart the game.
  • I get massive FPS drops from 200 to 50 and up and down... And sometimes 100+ fps feels laggy as well...
  • Some stuttering and micro lags (0.5 Seconds - 2 Seconds)
  • Second screen is lagging if primary screen is "rendering" fast. Like fast mouse movements or something
What I tried:
  • Newest Windows ipdates
  • Newest NVidia driver
  • Older NVidia driver
  • Newest BIOS Update
  • Default BIOS Setting
  • turn down voltage (default is 1.4V)
  • change RAM speed to different values
  • change RAM voltage
  • change CPU ratio
  • Downcore to 1+1, 2+2, 3+3 (I only have this three options)
  • Game reinstall
  • Windows reinstall
  • Games on different SSD
  • Turn DVR off (this Xbox things)
  • Energymode on high in windows
  • Fast reboot off
  • primary screen to 120hz
  • Game Boost in BIOS on and off
  • Gamemode in Windows 10 on and off
So yeah... I dont know what to do guys :(

Greetz.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
Same build, same issue. Windows 10 updated, amd chipset drivers updated, mobo and gpu bios updated.
I have an Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard, but it shouldn't matter.
The only real difference is that I'm using an Asus PG248Q (1080p 180hz).
I'm beginning to think there are optimization issues with some games and this build. Apex and Rainbow Six Siege seems to be always unaffected, while Black Ops 4 and Battlefield 5 (DX11) can run good or bad even after a reboot.
I've also tried to do a clean Windows 10 install to no avail.
Also, I had a GTX 1060 before upgrading and I had 0 stuttering, but I know that this cpu can't always push the RTX 2070 to full usage even with max settings on some games.
Since Apex and Rainbow are unaffected, I don't think it's a gpu problem.
Can you tell me the games affected / unaffected that you play?

EDIT: while writing the answer I forgot what you said about cpu / gpu usage, I can get almost full gpu usage on some games, but it mostly stays under full. But this is known to be normal since the cpu can't push gpu further, specially in 1080p. The problem is I shouldn't get all these stuttering issues, and we have this in common.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019
Are you running an overclock on the CPU, GPU, or RAM? I know that you have changed some of the voltages, but I had trouble with a CPU and GPU overclock that I thought was stable until I got into certain games. I just had to turn back my speeds. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of PUBG experience. I do know that they have had some optimization problems, so you may want to try capping your fps at 60 for that game. It may be capped in game, I know it was for awhile.

I would reset your BIOS to stock settings and use a driver removal tool for a clean install for the NVIDIA drivers. The link here:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Have you checked your windows power settings? It's still recommended to have the performance option over the balanced option. You may have to try turning down some settings, especially in PUBG, since some of these games just aren't that well optimized.
I have a Ryzen 5 2600, but I did have a few issues. I may try out some PUBG after work just to see the results. Let me know if any of that works.

Vakou

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Hello guys,

I'm fighting against massive fps drops and lags and stutterings.

My Hardware:
Ryzen 2700X
MSI X470 Gaming Pro
Nvidia RTX 2070
16gb DDR4
  1. Screen 144hz 1440p
  2. Screen 60hz 1440p
Only SSDs

Im playing all games in Fullscreen. CPU and GPU never goes over 60%... Only if there are some loadings like first initialize of a game.

Some Issues:
  • Sometimes in PUBG and Fortnite after 5 - 10 Minutes I got a Freeze for 10 - 20 Seconds. After that there is no freeze only if I restart the game.
  • I get massive FPS drops from 200 to 50 and up and down... And sometimes 100+ fps feels laggy as well...
  • Some stuttering and micro lags (0.5 Seconds - 2 Seconds)
  • Second screen is lagging if primary screen is "rendering" fast. Like fast mouse movements or something
What I tried:
  • Newest Windows ipdates
  • Newest NVidia driver
  • Older NVidia driver
  • Newest BIOS Update
  • Default BIOS Setting
  • turn down voltage (default is 1.4V)
  • change RAM speed to different values
  • change RAM voltage
  • change CPU ratio
  • Downcore to 1+1, 2+2, 3+3 (I only have this three options)
  • Game reinstall
  • Windows reinstall
  • Games on different SSD
  • Turn DVR off (this Xbox things)
  • Energymode on high in windows
  • Fast reboot off
  • primary screen to 120hz
  • Game Boost in BIOS on and off
  • Gamemode in Windows 10 on and off
So yeah... I dont know what to do guys :(

Greetz.
I know what's your issue I had the same problem for a log time. The spikes are caused by your chipset driver. Most likely you installed chipset directly from AMD website and it is on a conflict with the driver from your motherboard's website. What you need to do is to navigate to : C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\BIN64 and Run AMDCleanupUtility. Then delete all 'AMD' remaining folders from: C:\ and C:\Program Files (x86). Reboot your pc and I recommend to install chipset from your motherboard website ONLY.

Reactions: Dopa Reverse

Atrox321

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Answer:

Did you install all the drivers, not just the nvidia experience, but the motherboard drivers, and cpu drivers and you should be good to go. This is how I fixed mine, well anyways if you are not sure or can't remember if you installed them, just try to install again and it won't do harm. But I can garuntee you that if they are fully installed, installed all the drivers then you should not have any more stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.