[SOLVED] FPS drops, FX 6300 at 4.4mhz and a GTX 960.....

Aug 1, 2019
can someone tell me why im getting fram drops in fortnite from like 120fps down to below 40fps and it tends to jump about, its so frustrating

Solution
At 1080p a lot of games use close to and upward of 8gbs system ram. With only 8gbs, i'd say you are pretty stretched, specially with any chrome tabs open. 16gb is really the sweetspot for gaming now. Once your ram fills up, it starts to use the swap/page file, instead of system ram. This is much slower and can cause FPS drops and stuttering.
Aug 1, 2019
what are your system specs in full, specifically how much ram and also what res are you playing on?
what are your system specs in full, specifically how much ram and also what res are you playing on?

Asus M5A97 mobo
Fx 6300 OC to 4.4mhz
GTX 960 2 GB
8GB G.skill 1600mhz

i play on 1920/1080 on fortnite, it seems to be after every update they do my frames go mad. normally i get about 80-120 fps (capped at 120fps in game settings)

id love to be able to get it to be good and stable

At 1080p a lot of games use close to and upward of 8gbs system ram. With only 8gbs, i'd say you are pretty stretched, specially with any chrome tabs open. 16gb is really the sweetspot for gaming now. Once your ram fills up, it starts to use the swap/page file, instead of system ram. This is much slower and can cause FPS drops and stuttering.

Solution
Aug 1, 2019

Thanks alot for the advice mate. so do you think adding more ram will help it run more stable?

Aug 1, 2019
It potentially will. But also your GPU has 2gb Vram. Again, a lot of games use 2-3gbs of vram at 1080p. Your system is at it's max. Adding ram may help, but will only negate the real issue for a short time.

Yes i understand that. i am in the middle of building a whole new PC anyway i just want a small cheap fix (if possible) for now while i build my new PC

Yes i understand that. i am in the middle of building a whole new PC anyway i just want a small cheap fix (if possible) for now while i build my new PC

I see. On that basis, the only option would be a ram update. (Cheapest option). There is a problem with that too though. You would need to find the exact same model ram as you have, to have a chance they will work together. Buying differrent ram DIMMS with different timings and speed and voltage and mixing them with what you have can be problematic. Sometimes they don't work together.

My advice is to stick with the pain for a while till you get the new PC built. Don't put any more money into your current system even for a quick fix.

bignastyid

Titan
Open afterburner and click on the gear(settings)-> click the monitoring tab-> click on what you want to monitor(you can select multiple ones at the same time by holding down the ctrl key)-> then click to check Show in On-Screen display-> once you are done selecting all the options that you want to see in the osd click on the On-Screen Display tab and setup the hot keys.

Aug 1, 2019
I see. On that basis, the only option would be a ram update. (Cheapest option). There is a problem with that too though. You would need to find the exact same model ram as you have, to have a chance they will work together. Buying differrent ram DIMMS with different timings and speed and voltage and mixing them with what you have can be problematic. Sometimes they don't work together.

My advice is to stick with the pain for a while till you get the new PC built. Don't put any more money into your current system even for a quick fix.

I'm sure i can find 16gb second hand for now