Question Fps drops, gets worse the more I play even after restarting as if the system remembers

Sep 18, 2019
Hello,

I'm having some issues with fps and not sure what to do now. I have tried many things.

I got an Asus Rog Strix 2 laptop, Intel i7 8750H, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16gb ram. I got it in October 2018, and everything was working fine, it could run all games on highest settings, such as Black Ops 4, Assassins creed games, BF1. No issues at all.

Then around late January or February 2019, can't remember exactly, there were updates for Windows 10 and Nvidia (through Geforce Experience). I updated all. I would say this is when the problems began, though not with FPS. Rather, the wifi card wouldn't automatically connect to internet on startup, and when I tried connecting to internet, the wifi card would inactivate (I think) and then activate again, but not connect. The only way was to Troubleshoot, and it wouldn't only work if Troubleshoot would reset the wifi card, then it was 50/50 if it would connect or not. If I leave it for 5-10 minutes on desktop without troubleshooting, it would connect automatically. Resetting modem didn't work. This still continues but not as frequently.

Fast forward about one and a half month, the FPS began slowly dropping. At first, it was just games that had high requirements that would get the FPS drops, and these drops lasted 1-3 seconds. I lowered settings for games and it would work fine, but then the problem would just come back. I uninstalled from HDD and installed on SSD, but the problem persisted.

So after reading some forums, I first decided to roll back Windows 10 update, it didn't fix the problem. Then I played around in the Device Manager...updating, deactivating, activating, but nothing worked. Finally, I just reset the whole computer, erasing all files. Everything was working fine, but then I was forced to update Windows 10 and Nvidia geforce experience so I could play games. I updated, and nothing changed. After a week or so, the problems came back. I opted to playing older games that didn't require much.

About 2 months ago I began playing games requiring high performance. Slowly, the FPS problem arose, it's like chasing the games. The more I play, the more FPS drops I experience, to the point that it is constantly below 30 fps, feels like 15 fps. Even lowering game settings to the lowest won't help, it the problem just finds a way to drop FPS. Older games don't run smoothly any longer either.

I changed fan speed to overboost when playing, but this made the whole thing worse. It worked better half a minute, but then the whole computer slowed down.

Today I decided to remove many ASUS gaming programs, such as ROG gaming visual, and also Nvidia Geforce Experience, and Nvidia Virtual Audio. It improved fps slightly but not enough. I changed Nvidia 3D settings performance because someone said the problem could be when I Alt+Tab and there would be a problem with 2D-3D shifting, but it didn't work.

I downloaded Avira free version and did a full scan, but no virus were found.

Disabling A-sync, V-sync, G-sync...nothing works.

I don't know what to do anymore, I've done what all forums say. I think the problem is software, not hardware, and no overheat..

It gradually keeps getting worse and worse. And it's only with gaming.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Update: Disabling Nahimicserver and uninstalling many Nvidia and ROG softwares seems to help. Now I can play on lowest settings without FPS drops :D...sometimes I get slight FPS drops, even on lowest settings.
What should I do??

ASK THE COMMUNITY