[SOLVED] fps drops in all games but hardware seems fine

Nathinio11

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Hello all I have been having performance issues with my Pc for the longest time. I have replaced every part of my pc except My gpu (i tested a friends gpu with issues still happening). I get stutters and hitches in almost every game I play. Even games I should run really well suffer from hitches and stutters. My pc sometimes fails to turn on too. I have updated every driver and reinstalled windows a bunch and no luck. I can’t see what the problem is as a-lot of my hardware is new. The temps of my my games seem perfectly normal too. I’m really unsure of what the problem is. I have run stability tests such as the intel extreme tuning test and my cpu is perfectly stable and temps stay low. ive tried xmp profiles too and no luck. i run everything at stock to cancel out any oc instability.

My specs: GTX 1070
I7 7700k (replaces with the same chip and still the same issues)
Noctua NH -U14s
16gb DDR4 3200mhz hyper fury x ram
Evga 650 gold plus psu
Z270 striz gaming k1 mobo
Samsung ssd evo 850
1 tb seagate hdd
Acer predator gsync monitor

Any help would be appreciated as I’m totally stuck on what the issue could be! Thanks

Solution
Cpu sets the fps limit. It can only pre-render so many frames in a second. It's a finite limit you don't have much if any control over. It's up to the gpu to finish render those frames and either live up to the limit or not, depending on resolution and detail settings.

Dropping resolution and details won't increase or affect fps, that limit is already set. All it does is make the gpu work less hard so the cpu usage becomes more pronounced. Instead, do the opposite, max out resolution and details, everything, put the balance of power back on the gpu, slow it down, make it work and give the cpu a break.
Based on your specs everything looks good and you really should have no issues. I would have put it down to drivers but it would be good to know what happens when you run task manager to see if any programme is stealing CPU cycles...

Nathinio11

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Based on your specs everything looks good and you really should have no issues. I would have put it down to drivers but it would be good to know what happens when you run task manager to see if any programme is stealing CPU cycles...
everything is up to date and ive even tested old drivers too and nothing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You say drivers are up to date. Does that mean gpu, or have you gone to Asus website and dl/install all of the motherboard chipset drivers for Lan, audio, USB family, Sata, pcie etc and all those are up to date as well.

During windows major updates it's not uncommon for it to reset some user settings back to default, this includes Xbox DVR, game bar helper and other stuff that can impact cpu usage.

When was the last time you used CCleaner to clean up orphans and trash in the pc, and it's registry tool as well?

When you installed windows, was that done simply on the ssd, or was the hdd hooked up at the same time?

Nathinio11

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
You say drivers are up to date. Does that mean gpu, or have you gone to Asus website and dl/install all of the motherboard chipset drivers for Lan, audio, USB family, Sata, pcie etc and all those are up to date as well.

During windows major updates it's not uncommon for it to reset some user settings back to default, this includes Xbox DVR, game bar helper and other stuff that can impact cpu usage.

When was the last time you used CCleaner to clean up orphans and trash in the pc, and it's registry tool as well?

When you installed windows, was that done simply on the ssd, or was the hdd hooked up at the same time?
yes i have all those installed.

they are all off and i have used Ccleaner and its registry tool too and no luck

simply on the ssd

Nathinio11

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
What are you using to determine that you are having fps drops and stutter? What games are you playing and what settings are you using? Are the games you are playing installed to the SSD and is the SSD full when they are installed?
i use msi afterburner to see.
games such as cs go on all low settings and even 720p will stutter and hitch.
i only have 3 games installed atm on my ssd so there is plenty of space

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
haven't tried mine in his and when his was in my system the problems were the same
Try formating your system and reinstall windows. It doesnt seem like a hardware problem anymore since you have tried anything. Also cpu shouldnt be the problem.(its the last and rarest thing to have problems). Since you have changed you motherboard and tried different RAM and gpu, I can only recomment a disk format and carefully install drivers and update bios if needed

Nathinio11

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Try formating your system and reinstall windows. It doesnt seem like a hardware problem anymore since you have tried anything. Also cpu shouldnt be the problem.(its the last and rarest thing to have problems). Since you have changed you motherboard and tried different RAM and gpu, I can only recomment a disk format and carefully install drivers and update bios if needed
ya i really have no idea what is causing the issue but ill try that if mi cant find anything else

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu sets the fps limit. It can only pre-render so many frames in a second. It's a finite limit you don't have much if any control over. It's up to the gpu to finish render those frames and either live up to the limit or not, depending on resolution and detail settings.

Dropping resolution and details won't increase or affect fps, that limit is already set. All it does is make the gpu work less hard so the cpu usage becomes more pronounced. Instead, do the opposite, max out resolution and details, everything, put the balance of power back on the gpu, slow it down, make it work and give the cpu a break.

Solution

Nathinio11

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019

ill try it