Apr 23, 2020
Hi,

I have made a new build and when i first turn it on and load games up all is very well and runs nice and smooth, an hour or 2 of my pc being turned on then if i try to game then i seem to get fps drops. For instance if im on cod my fps may be at 140 then every minute or 2 i will get a drop which could drop to 80 or even just to 110 but no matter how much the drop is my game still lags for a second and then jumps back up.

I have tested my GPU in another build and it worked perfectly so that is ruled out.
I bought a new hard drive so that ruled that out.
My temps are fine with my GPU reaching 64 degrees max and CPU max is also 63 degrees max but fluctuates around 50 to 60.
I have tried clean install of windows.
I have tried reinstalling all drivers.
I have closed all background apps while playing.
My BIOS is up to date.
I have disabled DVR and other in game overlays such as Nvidia.

I feel i have tried everything but my problem still continues which is making me wonder if my PSU is not sufficient. I know it is a cheap PSU and i was going to get around to upgrading it anyway but just been stumped for the cash to get that at the moment and thought this one would do.

Any help would be very much appreciated, i have been trying to figure this out for around a month now and it is reallly bugging me considering the amount i have paid for this.

My Specs are:

Aerocool Integrator 700w
Gigabyte Aorus Pro B450M
Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair H100i Pro RGB
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 GAMING A
2x8gb Hyper x Fury RGB 3200mhz
Corsair Force MP510 M.2 NVME 480gb
Toshiba DT01ACA 100 1TB
WDC WD10EURX - 83UY4Y0 1TB
Corsair Carbide Spec-Delta RGB

Windows 10 1909 64bit

Last edited:
Solution
It can cause FPS drops if it's not providing the amount of power the GPU is expecting.

Knowing the budget, the country you're in, and the store(s) you can shop from would help.

BUT . . budget and PSU do NOT generally go hand in hand. The PSU is a safety device. It has to provide the power you need, AND it has to provide it CLEANLY (no ripple, instability, etc), and it has to protect your hardware if something goes wrong.

A good PSU will protect your hardware if something goes bad and it does. A bad one will take out other components with it. Suddenly, a larger investment looks better when it's protecting an expensive GPU, CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

What makes things worse is the tariff war between the US and China, and now the...
Apr 23, 2020
Sorry I forgot to mention that, no it is on all games I have played on it even very low demanding ones

Modern warfare
Gta v
Fifa 20
Football manager 20
Pure pool
Assetto corsa

Apr 23, 2020
No overclocking at all no, only thing I have done in that sense is put xmp profile 1 for ram on as it had it set to 2400mhz, but I tried setting it back to that to see if that was the problem but it wasnt.

Apr 23, 2020
Go to your settings and update windows, you say your current version if 1903, which has been reported to give some people performance issues whilst gaming.

There should be an option at the bottom of the windows update page to update to version 1907.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Aerocool Integrator 700w

From the article in the first link in my sig:

Other models that IN GENERAL should never be trusted OR USED AT ALL, under any circumstances.

Acbell, A-Top, AK Power, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, ... etc

Apr 23, 2020
From the article in the first link in my sig:

Hi,

i realised it was a crappy PSU but havent got around to getting a new one yet but do you think this could cause the FPS drops i have been getting, bear in mind i only get the drops an hour or 2 after the pc being on?

Apr 23, 2020
Load up a monitoring software that can tell you the power being used by both your CPU and GPU look at that when you first load the game and start playing and take note of them. Keep an eye on the power being used by them over time and when the FPS drops look at the powers and see if they're the same.

Apr 23, 2020
Load up a monitoring software that can tell you the power being used by both your CPU and GPU look at that when you first load the game and start playing and take note of them. Keep an eye on the power being used by them over time and when the FPS drops look at the powers and see if they're the same.

I have MSI afterburner and i have monitored but i dont think it telles you the power the cpu is using it does for the gpu however. I watched it for abit when the drops were occuring and sometimes the power would drop with the gpu usage and fps but sometimes it wouldnt, it varied.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's possible. Psus heat up with higher loads and will/can loose efficiency and get more erratic outputs. So it's possible. The fact it's an Aerocool just makes the possibility higher, they are on the short list of terrible performance name brand psus.

End result is you'll not know for certain until/unless you replace that excuse for a psu shaped object with a far higher quality unit that's rated for at least full output at 40°C.

A very good quality 550w or decent quality 650w is more than sufficient. Right now I'd not rate that Aerocool as anything more than a mediocre 450w platform.

Apr 23, 2020
Yes, it's possible. Psus heat up with higher loads and will/can loose efficiency and get more erratic outputs. So it's possible. The fact it's an Aerocool just makes the possibility higher, they are on the short list of terrible performance name brand psus.

End result is you'll not know for certain until/unless you replace that excuse for a psu shaped object with a far higher quality unit that's rated for at least full output at 40°C.

A very good quality 550w or decent quality 650w is more than sufficient. Right now I'd not rate that Aerocool as anything more than a mediocre 450w platform.

Do you have any recomendations ? On abit of a budget

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It can cause FPS drops if it's not providing the amount of power the GPU is expecting.

Knowing the budget, the country you're in, and the store(s) you can shop from would help.

BUT . . budget and PSU do NOT generally go hand in hand. The PSU is a safety device. It has to provide the power you need, AND it has to provide it CLEANLY (no ripple, instability, etc), and it has to protect your hardware if something goes wrong.

A good PSU will protect your hardware if something goes bad and it does. A bad one will take out other components with it. Suddenly, a larger investment looks better when it's protecting an expensive GPU, CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

What makes things worse is the tariff war between the US and China, and now the pandemic issue. Prices have gone higher.

In the US, here's what I would suggest:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dD...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

Solution
Apr 23, 2020

What makes things worse is the tariff war between the US and China, and now the pandemic issue. Prices have gone higher.

In the US, here's what I would suggest:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dD...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

Hi

Thank you, yes that psu is well within budget I thought it was going to be around £200 lol.

I have actually just resolved my problem, when Ehxcuse mention about the windows 1903 I searched my update of 1909 and found people having similar problems because of the desktop background auto change feature. I have set my wallpaper to just a standard one and my issue has been resolved :). Just putting this on here incase anybody else looking for the same issue then they can try.

Thank you all for all your help and even though i have resolved this i am still going to take your advice and order the corsair tm550x tomorrow.

Again thanks alot people... stay safe :)