Question FPS drops in all games (with video)

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, long story short... I am getting fps drops in every single game, this has been going on for years and I have never found the cause despite literally replacing every component, I honestly don't get it. I recorded a quick video of me playing the RE3 demo that basically sums up my gaming experience in all games, I am using Rivatuner too but don't really understand what is being shown, so hopefully, someone could assist me in finding out what is causing the drops? If you go to about 30 seconds into the video you can see some nice beefy fps drops, it's like that basically every minute in every game, sometimes even worse.

Video

Specs:

RTX 2080 SUPER
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
32GB 3200mhz Corsair RAM

Reactions: mmd_jvd

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I find that format of Afterburner OSD to be lacking - all I really noticed was that the gpu was running quite hot. 85C is pretty much thermal throttle territory for these gpus.

When's the last time you reinstalled Windows?
I'm not saying to do it right away, but if you haven't done so in a long time, it could help to clear up some junk that's sitting in your C drive.

Post the URL to your results. Let's see if anything else sticks out besides the gpu.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
I find that format of Afterburner OSD to be lacking - all I really noticed was that the gpu was running quite hot. 85C is pretty much thermal throttle territory for these gpus.

When's the last time you reinstalled Windows?
I'm not saying to do it right away, but if you haven't done so in a long time, it could help to clear up some junk that's sitting in your C drive.

Post the URL to your results. Let's see if anything else sticks out besides the gpu.

I have tried different GPU's before, a GTX 1080, RTX 2060 and an RTX 2070. Each of them performed the same way, so I can't see how the GPU would be the cause.

I have reinstalled Windows a few times trying to fix it but it never helps sadly, I have also reinstalled it on different SSDs and that did nothing either.

Here is the UserBenchmark.

Everything appears to be fine in that benchmark, which makes no sense considering my PC can't even run games as basic as Minecraft without constant issues. Also, the reason the RAM has such a low rating on those results is that I set the speed to 2267 MHz a few days ago but forgot to set it back to 3200 MHz, although, even when my RAM is at 3200 MHz games still run the same.

Last edited:

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
1)Each of the gpus 'performed the same way'? So they all thermal throttle?

2)Windows reinstalls didn't help - got it.

3)What are the specs of that 1TB Sabrent HDD? How old is it?
Userbench doesn't provide any further info on that drive. Crystal Disk Info should be able to provide more, as well as drive health: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

The SSD is brand new, got it a few weeks ago. Although, I have tested games on different SSDs and HDDs and they all ran the same.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I re-watched the video, and I'm thinking that all your games are behaving like that...
-using any RGB control software?
-software for an AIO, if using one?
-software that came with the motherboard?
-running a multi-monitor setup, but the monitors have different native refresh rates?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
I re-watched the video, and I'm thinking that all your games are behaving like that...
-using any RGB control software?
-software for an AIO, if using one?
-software that came with the motherboard?
-running a multi-monitor setup, but the monitors have different native refresh rates?

I'm not using anything to do with RGB, nor do I have anything RGB related installed.

I don't have anything installed for AIO either.

I've reset the whole computer a few times now trying to fix it and have no motherboard software installed.

I'm only using one monitor, it doesn't matter what refresh rate I set the monitor to, it does the same thing no matter what.

What makes you think that you should be getting an steady 165FPS in every game?
In the video the FPS drops the first time because you get into an area that is harder to run.
There is only one real stutter in the video and that is because the game was reading in some data.
These games are designed around 30FPS maybe some for around 60FPS they are not made to run smoothly at hundreds of FPS..

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
What makes you think that you should be getting an steady 165FPS in every game?
In the video the FPS drops the first time because you get into an area that is harder to run.
There is only one real stutter in the video and that is because the game was reading in some data.
These games are designed around 30FPS maybe some for around 60FPS they are not made to run smoothly at hundreds of FPS..

I'm not expecting locked 165fps in every game, I never said that. But, if you watch the whole video you will see these horrible issues. It's like that in every single game, I can't even play games like Siege, Minecraft, Destiny 2, any of the Battlefield games, you name it, it won't run properly on my PC. I have tried games on my friends PC and I didn't encounter a single issues, not one drop, whereas on my PC I can't play a single game without encountering some sort of fps drop, stutter etc.

Batman1121

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I'm not expecting locked 165fps in every game, I never said that. But, if you watch the whole video you will see these horrible issues. It's like that in every single game, I can't even play games like Siege, Minecraft, Destiny 2, any of the Battlefield games, you name it, it won't run properly on my PC. I have tried games on my friends PC and I didn't encounter a single issues, not one drop, whereas on my PC I can't play a single game without encountering some sort of fps drop, stutter etc.

Did you end up fixing your issue?

mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
Hello, long story short... I am getting fps drops in every single game, this has been going on for years and I have never found the cause despite literally replacing every component, I honestly don't get it. I recorded a quick video of me playing the RE3 demo that basically sums up my gaming experience in all games, I am using Rivatuner too but don't really understand what is being shown, so hopefully, someone could assist me in finding out what is causing the drops? If you go to about 30 seconds into the video you can see some nice beefy fps drops, it's like that basically every minute in every game, sometimes even worse.

Video

Specs:

RTX 2080 SUPER
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
32GB 3200mhz Corsair RAM
hi dude

1.maybe your HDD is too old? or maybe u have a lot of programs that are running in the background!

2.u sure that in nvidia control panel all things are good? i mean suddenly nothing changed or something like that?

3.the basic reason i saw! wow u'r playing too high boy! settle down! 140fps? are you using 144hz monitor that you take that much fps! its completely normal that you have fps drop on 140! i guess that's because of your CPU! it can't give you stable 144 fps!
the best way is if u really want take that much fps take a better CPU! 9900k should work for that!
or just set fps lower like 100 to have a more stable frame rate

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
hi dude

1.maybe your HDD is too old? or maybe u have a lot of programs that are running in the background!

2.u sure that in nvidia control panel all things are good? i mean suddenly nothing changed or something like that?

3.the basic reason i saw! wow u'r playing too high boy! settle down! 140fps? are you using 144hz monitor that you take that much fps! its completely normal that you have fps drop on 140! i guess that's because of your CPU! it can't give you stable 144 fps!
the best way is if u really want take that much fps take a better CPU! 9900k should work for that!
or just set fps lower like 100 to have a more stable frame rate

1) I'm using an SSD, it's brand new, and have tested multiple other SSDs, same thing with all of them.

2) I haven't touched the NVIDIA control panel.

3) I have high end build, 144hz is nothing for my build, plus, I could cap the game at 60hz would still get the issues.

mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
I strongly suggest try the 60hz too!
1. is it same for all games? I mean you have de same issue for literally every game?

2. how's your case thermalite condition

3. what's your platform, which model of windows and when did you install that

4.this issue was from the first?
Or at the first was right then came in?

5.did you try to make sure your drivers all are updated?

Batman1121

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Sadly not, I have had this issue for years, doubt I'll ever fix it.
Okay try this:
Go to Nvidia control panel
  1. Go to change resolution
  2. Customize -> Create a custom resolution
  3. Set refresh rate to 60 Hz
  4. Under timing change standard from automatic to CVT reduced blank then test and save.
  5. Apply your custom resolution and check your refresh rate is showing as 60 hz on https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate
  6. Under adjust image setting with preview select use advanced 3d settings.
  7. In manage 3d settings -> Program settings add any game that you play and change vsync to ON.
  8. Fire up the game and add it to RTSS and set framerate limit to 60
It really shouldn't stutter after this.

Apr 21, 2020
Hello, I have the same problem as you have for years too, literally tried everthying, I know it's a long shot, but we can talk to see what goes wrong if you want.