FPS drops in all games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2018
Hi, I have been experiencing severe FPS drops on my brand new laptop asus TUF gaming fx504 series.
It comes with nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, intel i7-8750h, and 8gb of ram.
I find myself having severe fps drops of 90 or more, and sometimes even hitting 50fps on Overwatch at medium settings. Although the games run smoothly for a few minutes for some unknown reason, it ends up flucutuating again afterwards.
I have no idea why the FPS is dropping. CPU, GPU, and RAM usage are nowhere close to 100%, gameDVR is disabled, and temperatures are healthy. I doubt that its a virus as well as it is a brand new laptop with only a few installed games.
What should I do?

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
When you say "fps drops"...are these momentary dips, or is the drop for an extended period?

When playing, does the drop always happen in the same areas, or when doing the same kinds of things (switching weapons or whatever)?

Jun 7, 2018
The fps drops are momentary dips, but they constantly occur. E.g The fps dips from 160 to 60 at least once every 3-4 seconds, creating a major stutter. And no, the drop seems to happen anytime, they even happen when im not moving my character.

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

Clean install a older version of Nvidia drivers, that just might fix the issue, if anything don't work then your last resort would be reverting to previous version of windows 10

Jun 7, 2018

Jun 7, 2018
Its the same problem even with a completely different network (same problem at friends house). Ive tried using an older version of nvidia drivers but the issue persists. Can i revert to an older version of Windows, considering that the laptop is brand new? I have not yet installed any updates.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

First, I would go ahead and install all the Windows updates. The latest version is more or less stable now (individual results may vary...).

Next, I would go to the laptop manufacturer and download all the latest drivers for your model...even though it is "new", it might have been sitting in a warehouse and not got latest updates (just remember DO NOT get your gpu drivers from asus, get those directly from Nvidia).

Jun 7, 2018

https://ibb.co/b4sViT
These are the stats I get while running overwatch. I do notice my GPU usage fluctuating also, though I'm not sure what that means.

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017
Try clean installing old (previous) version of the Nvidia GPU drivers. Also the CPU temp and usage is not displayed in the stats which could be the main factor. Is the gaming settings in windows settings disabled? What version of windows 10 (1809?) are you running?

Jun 28, 2018
Hey man, I just got my FX504 yesterday (i5 8th gen, GTX 1050 4GB VRAM, 8GB RAM). And I'm having the same issues as you.

I play Overwatch and my FPS constantly dips to 60 FPS very often although it would usually run at 100+ FPS. It seems that capping my FPS at 60 would prevent the stuttering, but who would want to play a competitive shooter at 60 FPS anyway.

I've tried it on different games and the stutter happens too. Have you found a solution to this?

Dec 2, 2018
Hey i Just got one aswell and im having the same issues and reading more about it and testin myself ive seem to figure out its due to its bad cooling and it downthrottels the cpu at 70 to 80 degrees celtius. so when you say it runs smooth for a while is because this laptop can only maintain max cpu at 3.9 for 15-60 sek depending on room temp. What you could do is downthrottel your cp or cap it at lets say 2.8 -2.5 for mor stabile usage and no fps dips. meaby repaste it with better thermilan paste. any1 else hearing high pitch and coil whine on this laptop also?

Dec 25, 2018
Hello, had exactly the same notebook and the problem.
I found that the notebook still running integrated Intel graphics card, even if you choose Nvidia from Nvidia control center.
The solution for me was to set Nvidia card for each program (game) from the "program settings"

Status
Not open for further replies.