Question FPS drops in all games

Mar 14, 2019
Hi,

I have a lot of fps drops lately, even on the lowest settings I sometimes still experience fps drops. I am wondering what is causing these fps drops and how I could fix them. If needed I could buy new parts for my PC, but I would first like to know for sure what to replace.

The specs of my PC are as follows:
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 4460
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
  • 2x 4GB of RAM
  • 3x 250GB Samsung SSD

Do you have any idea what could be causing these fps drops, how I could fix these issues or how I could check what is causing these issues?

Thanks in advance :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
PSU make and model?
What temps are you reaching under load? (GPU and individual CPU cores)
Have you run disk cleanup / trim / defrag?
What games are you encountering the issues?
What resolution / settings are you playing on when you encounter the issue?

Mar 14, 2019
My PSU is Corsair CX Series Modular CX500M (500W). When my GPU reaches 65 degrees celsius I still experience the problems.
These are the results for my CPU (screenshot taken after closing the game, 100% load is often reached during the game and does seem to go hand in hand with frame drops):
Rspu5g.jpg

An example of a game I play is Rainbow Six Siege (but I experience drops in all my other games as well, e.g., Fifa 19 and Battlefield 5). I also experience fps drops on the lowest settings, don't know if I'm right but this is why I think the fps drops are not because of my GPU. After running a disk cleanup I still experienced these problems.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Being as your max core usage is quite high, it could well be that your CPU is causing the FPS drops.
Have you checked CPU usage when the FPS drops occur? you can do so using MSI Afterburner to overlay CPU usage in game.

I'd also check what background applications or files are using CPU usage.
And better safe than sorry, an antivirus / anti-malware scan won't hurt anything and will eliminate the obvious.

Mar 14, 2019
The fps drops correspond to the times when the CPU usage is 100% or very high, say I would buy a new processor what are the most important things I should look at to avoid these problems?