FPS drops in BF3 and BF4 Multiplayer with 8350/R9 290

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
So my full rig is in my signature, but basically, I have new chipset, graphics driver 14.4 RC (latest) and newest BIOS. My 8350 is stock turbo, and all power saving options are turned off. My CPU is always under 53C, GPU always under 74C.

BF3 and BF4 will suddenly drop to 40fps in certain areas or directions of the matches, EVEN ON LOWEST SETTINGS.
BF4 with mantle, however, nearly eliminates the issue, and my GPU is always over 80% usage, 60-110fps, yet still get the same minimum fps, whether I'm on low or ultra settings...
My core clock never drops on cpu, and I'm always 60-70% usage.

GPU, on the other hand, will have 90-99% load one minute, and then drop to 30% gpu usage when I look in another direction and my FPS drops and stays to 40fps.. Return to where I was looking before? back up to 99% usage and 100fps...My GPU clock is always a solid 1000mhz, so its weird that the usage just drops like that. Its not throttling, otherwise my clock would drop. Its like this on many maps on both games.

It's just these two games, which happen to be the only two I play. I benchmark and run every other game as It should be. I basically match review sites frame by frame in games.

What's going on? how can stop this? Is the 8350 really too weak for BF3 to the point that I jump from 37fps-160fps... (Overclocking CPU and GPU doesn't help)

NiCoM

Honorable
You're probably hit by a bottleneck of some sort, though it seems unlikely since you CPU, GPU and RAM whould be running BF like a charm.

It could just be some sort of bug in the 14.4 driver, especially since you're using a BETA driver. Would be my best best guess at this, since your pc is well rounded without any parts bottlenecking it. :)

Hope this helps!

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
For example, In Crysis 2 in the mission Lab Rat, st the start of the mission, I just ran the game on all 8 cores all using roughly 50-60% usage on each core of my CPU, and GPU usage of 50-80%... I was getting anywhere from 110 to 37fps on ultra... It stayed near 40-65 a majority of the time... What is going on? CPU holds its gorund, and GPU clock didn't drops either. Usage levels even look okay (except for GPU maybe?). All missions ran like this in action areas. Like what is up?

The only solution I've found is a reformat, but I find that not a valid solution, just giving up. Its only really in BF3/BF4/Crysis 2 that I see these FPS drops while the hardware seems to be running perfect... other games run perfectly fine though... There has to be a solution does there not? is there a driver error somewhere...
I ran DDU to uninstall drivers. Which does this uninstall btw? Does it uninstall GPU and MOBO drivers? I checked delete all AMD/ATI files as well in the program (used latest 12.6.4 version the other day)

Next, ran CCleaner to clear registry, and installed driver 14.4 beta

I installed the latest Chipset for my MOBO next: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
Latest chipset is only win. 8, and I got 8.1, but that shouldn't matter. What else is needed here? tried Realtek sound, LAN, and USB drivers, and they didn't help. Just uninstalled them, as Windows basic drivers ran better. Am I missing a driver? What else is needed? This is a mess

I installed AMD's 13.12 chipset driver AFTER the graphics driver and Mobo chipset to keep from having multiple GPU/outdated drivers. It only installed a USB filter and 2 DX11 updates... didn't help

What's up? As far as I can remember, Crysis 2 ran this bad, bt I've only run it on beta drivers. Othrs seem to run it fine on them though... and performance shouldn't be that bad on any driver with my hardware runnng so well should it?

squish8294

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Check your BaseClock. Download CPU-Z and check what it says for Bus Speed and multiplier. If it's not 200.00 force it to 200.00 and see if that fixes your problem. Bus Speed is the baseline at which all system internals run at. My rig threw errors for .5 MHz of a BCLK change, which is why I suggest this.