Question FPS drops in game with OK hardware ?

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Hello,

Lately I have been having a problem with my computers performance and I have no idea what would be the cause. The issue starts to happen while I'm playing a computer game (LoL) at the later stages of the game, when the game becomes more complex due to action happening on the screen - but still with that setup I feel like the game should run on best settings and still have no performance drops. I play on low settings and optimized for performance and I get a lot of FPS drops which makes the game unplayable...

My setup is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super, 6GB
motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Disk: SAMSUNG SSD disk 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2
monitor: Asus VG248

This is the upgraded version of my PC, I upgraded every single component other than the power supply (Could that be the problem anyways? Current power supply is 550W)

I used to run my OS on 144hz but because of performance drop I am running it at 120hz at the moment because it has better performance on it. Windows, GPU and in game settings are set to 120hz. Connection between GPU and monitor is displayport which was replaced so that I can remove the tought of cable being bad.

I have changed default CPU cooler with a better version of it due to high CPU temps on idle and ingame. Also I undervolted it but the issue still persists.

My GPU has latest drivers and Windows OS was freshly installed on new disc. Also nvidia control panel settings are set for maximum performance (disabled vSync...)

Thank you for your help and time =)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows just had a major update, so make sure power plan settings are good, and also other display or power oriented settings as they definitely got messed with.

Might need to update the bios and/or motherboard chipset drivers with the new update. Any changes to Windows deletes the windows/drivers folder, and thats where chipset, equipment and additional dx files are stored. Reinstalling windows, you wiped everything out, only some nvidia specific drivers and windows factory drivers remain.

Cpu = fps limits, gpu = eye candy. So if you are on low settings and fps is nuts, it's not the gpu and seriously doubtful it's gpu drivers.

Might need to clean out the pc, multiple installs leave a ton of crud behind in temp files, which are addressed by the registry, which can cause delays, lag, dead ends, conflicts.

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Were you sure to put them in the proper slots, for dual channel, as per your manual? What specific model of Fractal 600w?
I have checked my MB's manual; Slot for 1 ram is DIMMA2 and my ram is in inserted in that slot. My power supply is fractal design FD-PSU-E51B-HV-600W
Model: HEC-600TC-2WB

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Windows just had a major update, so make sure power plan settings are good, and also other display or power oriented settings as they definitely got messed with.

Might need to update the bios and/or motherboard chipset drivers with the new update. Any changes to Windows deletes the windows/drivers folder, and thats where chipset, equipment and additional dx files are stored. Reinstalling windows, you wiped everything out, only some nvidia specific drivers and windows factory drivers remain.

Cpu = fps limits, gpu = eye candy. So if you are on low settings and fps is nuts, it's not the gpu and seriously doubtful it's gpu drivers.

Might need to clean out the pc, multiple installs leave a ton of crud behind in temp files, which are addressed by the registry, which can cause delays, lag, dead ends, conflicts.
Hello, but Windows was freshly installed how could that be the case?
My power settings are set to High performance with hard disc having "Turn hard dics off" to never

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
Wait, you are only running a single dimm? That is not doing you any favors. Also, that PSU is a terrible unit. HEC built PSU's are rarely good for anything more than a paperweight.
Is there a problem running only 1 ram stick why is that not doing me and favour sorry for my poor knowledge...
Yes its a very old PSU it's the only thing that I did not replace since I thought it's not necessary because it only needs to power my components?

logainofhades

Titan
Is there a problem running only 1 ram stick why is that not doing me and favour sorry for my poor knowledge...
Yes its a very old PSU it's the only thing that I did not replace since I thought it's not necessary because it only needs to power my components?

Single channel halves your ram bandwidth, hurting performance.

But when I calculate my consumption on PSU calculator online I get the result of 350W. Recommendation 600W
650 would be a waste of money don't we agree?

650w would not be a waste, as there aren't any good quality 600w units out there.

klaflo

Commendable
Nov 13, 2020
That's nonsense. Don't rate by brand. HEC make good psu's like Cougar GX-F and Corsair CX- F.

Framedrops are not a psu issue.

XMP enabled and it runs at 3200?

Single channel lowers the performance.
Yes XMP is enabled. I'm looking to change up my RAM sticks right now to make is 2x8 for dual channel... Do you have any comments on the RAM,PSU listed above?

logainofhades

Titan
That's nonsense. Don't rate by brand. HEC make good psu's like Cougar GX-F and Corsair CX- F.

Framedrops are not a psu issue.

XMP enabled and it runs at 3200?

Single channel lowers the performance.

Even a broken clock is right, twice a day. HEC in general, sucks, period. Everyone can have a good unit or two, but it doesn't abolish their bad reputation. Just like a single dud, like the seasonic S12III, doesn't ruin Seasonic's reputation.