Question FPS drops in Outer Worlds

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I'm having these FPS drops from 120 fps down to like 40-50 fps whenever I'm near the Vale or when I'm near somewhere crowded with enemies and houses.
On the first playthrough, the game ran smooth. It all turned to crap when I entered some sort of town.

GPU usage decreases when FPS drops.

Is it something to do with the optimization of the game?? I really like the game but I don't like having this kind of FPS anxiety along with the game.

Ralston18

Titan
Try the following:

Open Resource Monitor on your computer.

Observe for awhile, then leave Resource Monitor open and drag to one side. Then open and play Outer Worlds but stay out of towns. Note any differences within Resource Monitor with respect to not playing Outer Worlds and playing Outer Worlds while out of town.

Next step: Go into towns and again compare the metrics.

My suspicion is that your computer is marginally up to the specs of playing Outer Worlds.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Also compare system specs to the recommended specs for Outer Worlds. Most games list specs as "miminal", "recommended", or "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

I am going to move your post to PC Gaming because the issues involved are likely beyond just Displays.

Other players/PC Gamers may be able to add more specific suggestions and ideas.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Try the following:

Open Resource Monitor on your computer.

Observe for awhile, then leave Resource Monitor open and drag to one side. Then open and play Outer Worlds but stay out of towns. Note any differences within Resource Monitor with respect to not playing Outer Worlds and playing Outer Worlds while out of town.

Next step: Go into towns and again compare the metrics.

My suspicion is that your computer is marginally up to the specs of playing Outer Worlds.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Also compare system specs to the recommended specs for Outer Worlds. Most games list specs as "miminal", "recommended", or "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

I am going to move your post to PC Gaming because the issues involved are likely beyond just Displays.

Other players/PC Gamers may be able to add more specific suggestions and ideas.

In comparing the two metrics, should I look on the shown graph of the Resource monitor? It didn't made any difference when I'm on the edgewater town and outside of the edgewater town according to the two graphs.

But whenever I look to the structures of the town my fps drops but when I look down (on my feet) my fps increases.

I'll do the other suggestions later. Thanks for helping by the way :)

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Also I've been comparing benchmarks from youtube and their results with the same pc specs of mine. I can't get what they're having.

I saw one video that shows their benchmark having the average fps of 80 in very high preset but when I play that game I get 40-50 fps when in towns. (The game is Kingdomcome: Deliverance)

Ralston18

Titan
When you do the comparisons watch everything: CPU, GPU, RAM, Drives.

You can do much the same with Task Manager as well.

Key is to find some specific action or situation where you can initiate the FPS drop at will. E.g. looking at the town or your feet as you have done. Look at the metrics via both views. Find other similar situations. Same setting with lots of movement versus no movements.

However, after taking another look at the system specs in your posts I am wondering about that 520Watt SeaSonic PSU.

How old is that PSU? It may be faltering and unable to handle the power being demanded by the GPU.

Tally up the wattage requirements of all system components using the high end of any ranged wattages. Add 25%. How close to 520 watts is the total?

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
When you do the comparisons watch everything: CPU, GPU, RAM, Drives.

You can do much the same with Task Manager as well.

Key is to find some specific action or situation where you can initiate the FPS drop at will. E.g. looking at the town or your feet as you have done. Look at the metrics via both views. Find other similar situations. Same setting with lots of movement versus no movements.

However, after taking another look at the system specs in your posts I am wondering about that 520Watt SeaSonic PSU.

How old is that PSU? It may be faltering and unable to handle the power being demanded by the GPU.

Tally up the wattage requirements of all system components using the high end of any ranged wattages. Add 25%. How close to 520 watts is the total?

I bought the PSU when it was June and I say it is still performing good. I'll just to the other methods again tomorrow and see if there is any difference.