FPS drops in WoW since new GPU

D1craig

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
I have been playing wow for some time. Had some problems earlier this year but sorted.

I had a GTX 770. i7 2600 OC to 4.2. 8gb Ram. Heat is fine and well below the safe highs. Max of 60 on the cpu. After the little problem was sorted my FPs was great. Always at the vsync cap - 60. With occasional heavy visual drops to a min of 40.

Installed my gtx 970 and played the game for an hour with perfect performance. Zero drops in FPs at my cap of 60 even during heavy visual effect 25man raids. Then all of a sudden at the last boss after an hour plus of gaming I start to get huge spikes in FPs gpu usage goes from 30-50% down to 0-10%. And it freezes me for a second making the game impossible to play. This would happen every 5-15 seconds. Tried lowering the settings to minimum and was still getting the exact same drops and freezes.

The only thing that sorted it was a restart of the game. I have not been able to play at such length since the. So I don't know if the problem is reoccurring.

So I would like to know what what could be causing this problem? We gamers know that sometimes you can't do a restart every hour or so.

D1craig

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
No mate. That's when the problem started. I proceeded to exit the raid and navigated around for a while. I got the drops noatter what the situation after it first started. Until I closed the game and started it again.

Flying through some very low populated areas and still getting the drops in almost exactly the same timings.

D1craig

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Even a huge drop to almost 0 usage on the gpu?

I will try the turning off addons thing but replicating the problem is not 100% like I said "I was playing fine with no drops what so ever doing the exact same thing. Think I ran 2-4 other raids in LFR and then at the last boss of this raid it all hit the fan".

D1craig

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
While raiding I got the problem again. Couldn't turn my addons off as they are an important part of my gameplay. So I looked around my UI and found something called cpu profiling I turned it off and the problem stopped.

I also turned my most demanding addon off that doesn't affect my gameplay - recount. I don't think that was the problem though.