FPS drops like crazy!

Roebn89

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hello forums! The problem I have, is that in every game I play I keep getting fps drops from for example in WoW 60 down to 20 fps! And this problem persists in every game I play. And I also noticed that in my AMD vision engine control center my activity is always high at about 60-90% for some reason.
My specs are :

Antec Dark Fleet DF-30 Midi Tower Black Fans: 2x 120mm Front, 1x 140mm Top, 1x 120mm Rear, Blue LEDs, Window

-Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6pin+1x 6+2pin PCIe, 6× SATA, 120mm Fan

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core, 3,4Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 125W, Boxed

- Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, Socket-AM3, ATX, AMD870+SB750, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0

- Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 4GB KIT, CL9, Kit w/two matched DDR3 2GB, 240pin

- Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, 1xnative-HDMI, DisplayPort, Lite-Retail

- Corsair SSD Force Series™ F60, 60GB SATA2, 2,5", 285MB/275MB/s read/write, incl 2,5" to 3,5" bracket

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I'm currently at work so I can't give specific examples, Also have not played wow since Wotlk. Your are probably bottlenecking at your 1gb of video memory. Turn off any AA features you may have on, try to disable Catalyst AI

hope any of this helps

source: the failure of the 590 because of it's 1.5gb per board. When AA features are enabled at gross resolutions it plumets to under 1 fps whereas the 6990 was like WHOMP 3gb gddr5 whhaaa?!

Roebn89

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
How do I turn it off then? Because I see the scaling in amd vision is at Performance which should be enough?

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

I'm not 100% as I stated I'm at work. With my old 4870x2 I know I could just move the slider to Disable. However with 11.6 cata or w/e it's at now I know the slider is a tad... less instructive. Slide it all the way to the left.

Catalyst AI does some funky things at times.

When I'm off work I'll revisit this thread to see how things have panned out for you and perhaps post a few pictures to assist you.

Also note: this may not be your issue

edit: Can you describe your hit in performance after x amount of time or x event? You may also want to monitor your heat if this is happening after X amount of time

Roebn89

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
It would be awesome if you did that mate! And I've monitored the heat and stuffs abit whilst playing, and I've seen it about 51-61C and the activity is at 60-90% with only WoW up and running.
I play it all on Ultra settings which in my opinion the computer should be able to hande without a problem, and it does for a few minutes b4 the random FPS drop.

Also I forgot to mention that whenever I tab out of the game, the fps returns to normal for a few minutes

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

I do have a strong feeling it's your aa/af settings. Also shadows are a SOB. Disable them and you'll win all over the place :)

edit: a 6870 is only a Mid range card from my perspective. Doing Ultra settings is a BIT of a stretch.

Roebn89

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

That's something I question abit as wow isnt that demanding and it works perfectly fine until the fps drop and then when I tab out and in it goes bk up to maximum. But it's as you said, it might be some settings in the amd vision control center, just having a hard time finding it in that case.

I did call the people I bought the computer from, and they said that it might be a problem with my graphics card, that something's not working correctly or the ram

I dont rly know thou' I'm not exactly great with these things on a computer, I'm a gamer not much else rly hehe :)

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

It's how a lot of us start out. I ended up being more of a tech enthusiast than a gamer after a few years. Now I hardly play games at all. My PC is still admirable though. 2.66ghz q6700 quad core overclocked to 3.98ghz on water :) i ended up underclocking my ram so I could drop my timings, it's fun to tinker.

I really do think it's just 1 setting per game that's really effin you. keep your google searches up! I think you have your AI as dimmed down as you can with it on performance. Try shadows first, they ALWAYS buckled my 4870x2 which killed me as I paid $700 for it when it came out. if it change a 16x msaa or something to 4x AA marginal difference visually for a big POW in perfomance

Roebn89

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Hehe yeah that's true, I've never rly been a tech enthusiast and never knew very much about computers other than if they work or not with a certain game and I've always managed to fix most of the problems that's ever happened thou' but always with the help of google, this is the first real obstacle that's stopped me in my path hehe :)

Well, I will try to tweak some settings in the games I play and see if that solves anything for me, but would appreciate if you could do some research when you get home (if you have some spare time that is) and return to this thread with whatever you may find out! Ty for your help so far, I'll do my best to solve this myself as well! :)

Ah 1 more thing, do you think that if there's a shadow problem with wow, that it might be the same that's haunting me in all of the other games I try to play such as the witcher 2 etc (which is working perfectly on high settings or almost atleast, still get tha fps drop now and then)