Question FPS drops no matter the cap of framerate

Jan 29, 2022
I have FPS drops in any and every game, no matter how low the Fps cap. I have tried undervolting my cpu and gpu neither have worked completely only lessened by a small amount. This google drive link has two videos, one with a capped framerate the same as my refresh rate, the other video is uncapped. My temps for gpu and cpu are fine, please help!!!!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FUWezckOFIHxCA7APrQ7I68tOBPPa-YC?usp=sharing

My specs
I7 11700f @ 2.50
RTX 3070
8x4 (32GB) Ram DDR4 3200MHZ
2 500 GB ssds (one from a prebuilt the other is a samsung)
1 4TB HDD
850 Gold PSU
I have a MSI AIO

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools (as admin) but only one tool at a time.

Using either tool observe system performance first while not gaming. Then, leaving the tool window open but slid to one side or the other, try playing a game or two as usual.

Look for any differences between non-gaming and gaming use of your computer.

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when you note that the FPS rate drops.

Reactions: Aidany02
Jan 29, 2022

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

= = = =

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools (as admin) but only one tool at a time.

Using either tool observe system performance first while not gaming. Then, leaving the tool window open but slid to one side or the other, try playing a game or two as usual.

What resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Updated now

Jan 29, 2022

= = = =

i dont know if this helps but i just did a benchmark, seems like the cpu?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55586469

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"High background CPU (25%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. How to reduce background CPU. "

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to take a look at what all is running. Some possibly being launched at boot time via Task Manager > Startup.

Then look at what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is specifically using any given resource. In this case, the CPU.

Another tool is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free):

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

And if nothing is immediately found then look in Task Scheduler for some app or utility being triggered at some later time.

There may be some corrupt, buggy, or just intrusive code trying to update, backup, or simply "phone home".