Question FPS drops on a 6 GB graphics device. My device is Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-52-73Y8 but has 16 GB ram instead.

Apr 28, 2019
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-52-73Y8.352406.0.html
I bought a laptop for gaming purposes about 4 months ago. The specs are pretty decent for playing most games in high if not ultra I have been playing most games in 120 FPS. I play DotA 2 quite often but from the time I bought this system it can handle max NieR Automata pretty well without dropping frames but DotA 2 frames falls from somewhere in the 90s (which is pretty low for the system) to 10-15. I've even seen it go down to 3 FPS before. This is my first heavy usage gaming computer so I'm really clueless. I have warranty cover at this point in time, but this particular service station has only given me trouble about my older Acer laptop. Help needed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 28, 2019
cpu/gpu temp?
plug in or playing in battery only?
cpu/gpu temp?
plug in or playing in battery only?
I usually play when the battery % is around 20-50% and play with the charger for better FPS, or it limits performance somehow even in high performance. The temperature is high, goes to around 74-80° I've seen it go to 99° too. It's really hot at times. I thought devices usually do that at that performance.

Many laptops are absolutely going to need AC adapters plugged in to game more than 5 minutes, or, they will throttle both GPU and CPU massively to conserve power....

So, use an adapter, in set power plan to performance....

HWMonitor will tell you if you experienced any 95C temps to worry about....

Most laptops will always be quite warm in heavy gaming, and many are not really engineered for such loads, IMO...

Apr 28, 2019
Quite warm I think is about 70° but this one is hot. Like the heat makes its way through my 2 inch thick wooden table and I can feel the heat on the other side. Like legit 95° on the in system game console.