Schnail

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
Hello,
No matter how cold the temperature is and no matter how is the condition in-game the fps always drops on all games i've played. My CPU clock speed will always clocks down from 3907 mhz to 800-900mhz its happening in random intervals too. It happening within 1 minutes of gameplay and from that point forward the fps never stable, even just for a few seconds. My laptop is MSI GL63 8RC and it barely 1 year old. Please help me! Im really frustated because i dont know why is this happening and what should i do to fix it. Like for real, please help me!

I cant describe it in word so here's a video i recorded without vsync enabled just to see how bad it is:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RerrM575_4

I have tried to :
  1. Clean installing Windows 10
  2. Reinstalling driver with DDU
  3. Using "High Performance" mode on Nvidia Control Panel
  4. Cleaning my fan
  5. Defrag my hdd
  6. Using cooling pad
  7. Using max speed on my fan
  8. Turning off Vsync (It make the problem even worse)
  9. Turning off Intel Turbo Boost

System specs :
GTX 1050 4GB
i5-8300H 2.30ghz
8Gb 2400mhz DDR4 ram
60hz monitor
1TB 7200rpm hdd
Windows 10 Home 1903 build 18362

What Windows power plan are you using. Make sure its set to high performance. You could also see what settings your bios has for the CPU and you may be able to switch off Intel speedstep, which might help too.

Run something like HWMon/Info whilst gaming and watch your CPU temps. If they were really high, or the fan wasn't seated correctly, it's possible the CPU is thermal throttling, and dropping back in speed to protect itself. Looking at the vid, your CPU gets up to about 85c+ and then it knock back to a lower speed, and picks up again.

Schnail

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
What Windows power plan are you using. Make sure its set to high performance. You could also see what settings your bios has for the CPU and you may be able to switch off Intel speedstep, which might help too.

Run something like HWMon/Info whilst gaming and watch your CPU temps. If they were really high, or the fan wasn't seated correctly, it's possible the CPU is thermal throttling, and dropping back in speed to protect itself. Looking at the vid, your CPU gets up to about 85c+ and then it knock back to a lower speed, and picks up again.

Well, i cant really change my battery power plan, there is only one option "Balanced" the rest is not present.
Alright i will try to monitor my temp. What i didnt understand is, i saw a video a while ago benchmarking the same CPU, the CPU temperature doesnt spiked up as much as mine even without fps cap and its exceed 85°C but there is no fps drop, even reaching 90°C. Why did it differ from mine? Shouldn't be it perform the same?
Thank you for replying by the way

Well, i cant really change my battery power plan, there is only one option "Balanced" the rest is not present.
Alright i will try to monitor my temp. What i didnt understand is, i saw a video a while ago benchmarking the same CPU, the CPU temperature doesnt spiked up as much as mine even without fps cap and its exceed 85°C but there is no fps drop, even reaching 90°C. Why did it differ from mine? Shouldn't be it perform the same?
Thank you for replying by the way

You can create the Windows power plan, or change settings on the balanced plan. Change it to high performance mode so it looks like this:

View: https://imgur.com/bIFwkpd

Then try again.

Regarding the temps of the CPU. They are on the high side. What is your ambient temp like. Are you in a hot country during summertime. That could really push up temps too.