[SOLVED] FPS Drops On Every Game

Apr 22, 2020
I have;
R5 1400
RX5500XT 4GB Pulse
Corsair 8GB 3000MHZ Single RAM
WD 500GB 7200RPM 64MB HDD (New)(I tried with Seagate too)
My all drivers are up to date, I tried clean Win10 insallation, checked for virus, temperatures, defrag disk but I cant solving FPS drops.
FPS dropping to 20-30 from 60-70.
My games:
GTA V
Doom Eternal
Mafia 3 Defenitive Edition
Im having this issue on all of them.
Note: Sorry for my English :) (Its not my primary language).

Solution
My CPU usage is near %40-%50.
XMP is active, RAM is working on 3000MHZ
Alright, nice. I'd still recommend getting a second stick of ram.
If the cpu is indeed not at 90% or higher at any point, I'd next look at the gpu. I've had frame drops before with AMD gpu's, it was remediated by rolling back the drivers to something older. I can't help which driver will work unfortunately, it was usually ones before a new feature change.

Make sure not to use msi afterburner or other such programs, AMD's software conflicts sometimes.
Just GPU usage is dropping while having FPS drops. CPU usage is not dropping.
+ My RAM usage is 5GB on Mafia 3 and commit charge is 10GB
And what is the cpu usage? If it's anywhere near 90-100%, your cpu is a bottleneck. Getting dual channel ram, especially with ryzen, improves cpu performance. Running single channel isn't a matter of lack of memory, you are halving the amount of bandwidth and thus reducing cpu performance by 10-20%. You have 3000Mhz ram, did you set it up in the bios? Ram will default to 2133 or 2400Mhz if the XMP isn't set up.

Apr 22, 2020
And what is the cpu usage? If it's anywhere near 90-100%, your cpu is a bottleneck. Getting dual channel ram, especially with ryzen, improves cpu performance. Running single channel isn't a matter of lack of memory, you are halving the amount of bandwidth and thus reducing cpu performance by 10-20%. You have 3000Mhz ram, did you set it up in the bios? Ram will default to 2133 or 2400Mhz if the XMP isn't set up.

If the cpu is indeed not at 90% or higher at any point, I'd next look at the gpu. I've had frame drops before with AMD gpu's, it was remediated by rolling back the drivers to something older. I can't help which driver will work unfortunately, it was usually ones before a new feature change.

Make sure not to use msi afterburner or other such programs, AMD's software conflicts sometimes.

Reactions: ErdincOTA
Solution
Apr 22, 2020

I notice something today. My GPU Load is dropping to %93-96 sometimes while in Furmark test.

Last edited:
I installed one more same RAM and working dual channel but problem is unresolved.
I'm glad you got another stick, even if it didn't fix the issue.

Now that that has been resolved, it's likely a driver issue. A new driver came out a few days ago, perhaps DDU it.
Otherwise, it could be a variety of problems,(I never got my 380x to stop from frame dropping) like power limits, or gpu core speed, or freesync, etc. etc.

Reactions: ErdincOTA
Apr 22, 2020
I'm glad you got another stick, even if it didn't fix the issue.

Now that that has been resolved, it's likely a driver issue. A new driver came out a few days ago, perhaps DDU it.
Otherwise, it could be a variety of problems,(I never got my 380x to stop from frame dropping) like power limits, or gpu core speed, or freesync, etc. etc.
I tried to max out the power limit but nothing chanced. How can I found right driver? Do you have any trick or something?