Question Fps drops/stutter whenever cpu temperatures spike

Nov 23, 2022
While I've always experienced cpu temperature spikes for some reason, they have recently caused fps drops in all games regardless on how hard they are to run. I'll go from 58 to 70 C and with this will be a massive frame drop. I heard temp spikes are normal but on every game benchmark video I've seen the temperatures remain stable. Please help as I've tried literally every fix such as:

• Restarting my computer
  • Lowering graphics settings
  • Verifying system integrity files
  • Reapplying thermal paste
  • Installing new CPU cooler
  • Reinstalling drivers
  • User benchmark shows cpu above average
  • Tried putting power mode to medium
  • Tried setting maximum power state to 99%
  • Tried setting fan curve (made it worse)
  • Booted windows into safe mode
  • Reinstalled all games
  • Ran malwarebytes, found nothing
  • Checked for corrupted files on windows
  • Tried lowering the voltage
  • turning off xbox game bar
  • turning off windows defender
  • factory resetting entire computer
SPECS:
RYZEN 5 3600
Cooler Master - Hyper 212
ASUS TUF X570
CORSAIR VENGENCE LPX 16GB (8X2)
SANDISK 1 TB SSD
SEAGATE 2TB HDD
MSI GTX 1660TI OC

While I've always experienced cpu temperature spikes for some reason, they have recently caused fps drops in all games regardless on how hard they are to run. I'll go from 58 to 70 C and with this will be a massive frame drop. I heard temp spikes are normal but on every game benchmark video I've seen the temperatures remain stable. Please help as I've tried literally every fix such as:

• Restarting my computer
  • Lowering graphics settings
  • Verifying system integrity files
  • Reapplying thermal paste
  • Installing new CPU cooler
  • Reinstalling drivers
  • User benchmark shows cpu above average
  • Tried putting power mode to medium
  • Tried setting maximum power state to 99%
  • Tried setting fan curve (made it worse)
  • Booted windows into safe mode
  • Reinstalled all games
  • Ran malwarebytes, found nothing
  • Checked for corrupted files on windows
  • Tried lowering the voltage
  • turning off xbox game bar
  • turning off windows defender
  • factory resetting entire computer
SPECS:
RYZEN 5 3600
Cooler Master - Hyper 212
ASUS TUF X570
CORSAIR VENGENCE LPX 16GB (8X2)
SANDISK 1 TB SSD
SEAGATE 2TB HDD
MSI GTX 1660TI OC
ry this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings before doing so).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash the bios to the latest with ages 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile and PBO, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.11.xx as the time i write this), then reboot. go to power plan and make sure ryzen balanced is used.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png