Question FPS Drops + Stuttering issues with RTX 3070

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
PC SPECS:

CPU: i7 8700 (non K)
GPU: RTX 3070 Eagle OC
PSU: EVGA 700W (GOLD)
RAM: 2 x 8 (16GB RAM) 2400mhz
Motherboard: Z370 A PRO
Monitor: Acer KG271 144hz (1920 x 1080p)

Hello I have a problem with Stuttering + FPS drops when I play games on Ultra or High settings. I play on 1920 x 1080p monitor so I shouldn't be having these problems with a RTX 3070. Usually my games run between 100 - 144 fps but when I enter new parts of the map in same cases I get drops to below 60 FPS and get stuttering Issues. I feel like my hardware is more than sufficient to play these games at High settings as I am only playing @ 1080p.

Note : I don't think there's anything wrong with the GPU though I could be wrong.

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
What in the heck is using up, and maxing out, 12 cpu threads?
Playing at 1080p means higher CPU load, but the 8700 is still more than capable to handle modern games without any issues, so please don't listen to anyone who told you to upgrade it, and btw just have a look at this Warzone benchmark using your same CPU and GPU combo, Warzone is one of the most CPU heavy games and as you can see the 8700 is nowhere near 100% and it was handling it pretty well.

As I told you before, check for any high background tasks or malware, please report back your CPU usage white idle, still, a clean install of Windows will certainly give you a smoother experience.
Hello I appreciate all the help yous are giving. So I reinstalled both my drives and reinstalled Windows on SSD. Assassin's Creed Origins still reaches 100% CPU load although frames seemed more stable. It's weird because I don't think it's normal my Frames fluctuate from like 144 - 80 - 70 - 50 It's never just stable. When I watch benchmark videos on the games I play their Frames are never this spaced out.

I am getting Low FPS on Red Dead Redemption 2 with average FPS of 60-70 goes down more sometimes and the stuttering is most noticeable on this game. I am getting a little lower CPU usage with this game but it is still high overall. It doesn't reach 100 as often as Assassins creed.

High GPU usage with both games ranging from 80 - 90- 100
Temps for CPU & GPU are good.
All my games are optimized with Nvidia GeForce Experience.

I don't know what to do I don't really want to change my hardware and I don't have any reason to believe it's faulty as my PC is reasonably new. Maybe I will just lower Graphic settings when I want more FPS. even though I believe I shouldn't be doing this with a RTX3070 + i7 8700 setup.

Last edited:
A 3070 is the equivalent of a 2080 Ti (more or less). There are plenty of threads on the net with people saying that they have stuttering issues with that combination (8700 and 2080 Ti).
Also when you are used to high refresh rates, the sudden drop to anything below 55-60fps seems like stuttering.
That is exactly what happens with previous generations of cpus that had lower IPC when trying to run AAA games (mostly). They have lower 0,1% and 1% of framerates than their newer counterparts.

Your cpu may very well be a good combo with a 2080Ti/3070 but it will always drop some frames in specific games or in a specific zone within a game. The 8700 being non k also doesn't help as it can't be overclocked to help a bit more with that issue.

As a solution, I would recommend either dropping some CPU settings in games, or using a monitor with a resolution of 1440p. In higher resolution your cpu will lay off a while as the GPU will have more work to do instead of waiting for cpu to finish prerendering.

AC3B00G13

Reputable
Sep 7, 2020
A 3070 is the equivalent of a 2080 Ti (more or less). There are plenty of threads on the net with people saying that they have stuttering issues with that combination (8700 and 2080 Ti).
Also when you are used to high refresh rates, the sudden drop to anything below 55-60fps seems like stuttering.
That is exactly what happens with previous generations of cpus that had lower IPC when trying to run AAA games (mostly). They have lower 0,1% and 1% of framerates than their newer counterparts.

Your cpu may very well be a good combo with a 2080Ti/3070 but it will always drop some frames in specific games or in a specific zone within a game. The 8700 being non k also doesn't help as it can't be overclocked to help a bit more with that issue.

As a solution, I would recommend either dropping some CPU settings in games, or using a monitor with a resolution of 1440p. In higher resolution your cpu will lay off a while as the GPU will have more work to do instead of waiting for cpu to finish prerendering.
Yeah I think I'm going to just upgrade my hardware. I'd rather pay more money than get any FPS drops or Low FPS in games. It feels weird having an RTX 3070 and my other PC Parts seem that they're not on par with my GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.