Question FPS drops/Stutters after few minutes of gaming (All Games)

Sep 1, 2019
Hey guys,

I've noticed some massive and sudden FPS drops in all games on my laptop this last week.
My laptop isn't the best. It isn't even meant for gaming (I guess?). But I've been playing on it for 4 years now. Games like CS:GO were running smoothly on the lowest settings.
Until lately, sudden FPS drops happen after a (very) few minutes of gaming: either it's Fortnite, CS:GO, CrossFire, which leads my laptop to heat real quick.
Once the first FPS drop happen after 2-3 minutes of gaming, it doesn't stop: drop after drop after drop (3-5sec between every drop) until I rage quit.

Some notices I've made while playing lately:
• When playing games like Fortnite, the game's CPU Usage was really unstable. It balances between 55% and 100% (55% -> 85% -> 60% -> 90%...).
• Same goes for the GPU. Really unstable. Can go up to 99% and go down to 30%.
RAM usage is doing well. Max 30%-40%.

EDIT:

In-Game CPU temp: 103°C after a couple (3-5) of minutes of launching the game.
In-Game CPU Usage: balances between 65% and 100%.
In-Game GPU Usage: balances between 99% and 20%.
In-Game GPU temp: 93°C.

When the game is running smoothly (for a couple of secs): the CPU Usage is lower (60-70%) and the GPU Usage is higher (99%).
When the FPS drop happens: the CPU Usage is between 95-100% and the GPU Usage is at 25-30%.

I've made sure that:
• No other opened tabs when gaming.
• Nothing is running in the background.
• All my drivers are up-to-date.
• All in-game settings (graphics, etc) are very low...
• Latest Windows 10 version

Usually when this happens, all I got to do is: either Clean laptop's fan or Update my GPU drivers. No need to say, I've tried these two options today and nothing helped.
After these issues persisted, I've reset my PC (removed all files and settings, cleaned up the drives). Didn't help.

Laptop specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3 5015U @ 2.10GHz (69°C)
RAM: 12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 789MHz (11-11-11-28)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500 and NVIDIA GeForce 920M (I use this one for gaming).
Monitor: 60Hz

Reminder: All games were running somehow smoothly on 50-60 FPS until this week. Now, just after two minutes of gaming it's literally unplayable.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019
the cpu temp is during game or idle?
what the gpu temp during game?

In-Game CPU temp: 103°C after a couple (3-5) of minutes of launching the game.
In-Game CPU Usage: balances between 65% and 100%.
In-Game GPU Usage: balances between 99% and 20%.
In-Game GPU temp: 93°C.

When the game is running smoothly (for a couple of secs): the CPU Usage is lower (60-70%) and the GPU Usage is higher (99%).
When the FPS drop happens: the CPU Usage is between 95-100% and the GPU Usage is at 25-30%.