Question FPS Drops / Stutters (COD Warzone)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Hey,

I am playing Warzone the last days and I'm averaging about 80-90 fps (was averaging 70 or so but enabled XMP) and I am getting some annoying FPS stutters every now and then. Some times longer, some times shorter but it's really annoying. I would say with a frequency of 5 minutes per stutter.

CPU Temperature doesn't exceed 60oC so I believe the problem is not there. The game is installed in a new Samsung SSD (500 GB) which should be ok. Though I noticed something while playing, the SSD that has the Windows installed inside (ADATA SU 630) peaked at 65oC which shouldn't be normal. Could that be causing stutters? The game is installed in a different SSD though.

I also ran a Prime95 stress test and I had no errors for like 20 minutes so I guess CPU and RAM are okay.

Could it be the GPU? I ran some Unigine Heaven benchmarks and I had pretty high average FPS even on extreme in 1080p. Min FPS was low (like 9 fps) but I read that it happens during the scene changes and it's normal, it was all pretty smooth and I didn't notice any stutters there.

Any ideas????

RIG:

Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte RTX 2060
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz
AORUS x470 ULTRA GAMING

No, my settings are on low-medium. Same goes for Fortnite, my monitor is an ASUS VG248QE. I don't have G Sync.

Also I am noticing stutters on desktop use aswell, every now and then.

Make sure the nVidia control panel and Windows advanced monitor setting are both showing 144hz. Try setting a 144fps frame cap in the nvidia control panel and set vsync to always off.

Have you tried a new monitor cable ? If you're running HDMI have you tried DisplayPort and vice versa ?

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
I have an update guys, I got a fresh installation of Windows on an m.2 and desktop stutters are gone.

BUT the gaming FPS drops are still there tho, a bit better but still there. There is a setting in war zone that shows the time that took the GPU and CPU to render a frame and I noticed something. GPU doesn’t go above 8 on clash (small map with 100 people) and is mostly stable on 6.
On the other hand CPU time is around 11 - 12, and when the drops happen it even goes to 18-20 but the GPU time is still stable. So, I’m guessing it’s a CPU related problem but it doesn’t overheat…
What could cause that?

ps. thanks for all the replies and trying to help I really appreciate it <3

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Software. The game engine is an un-optimized mess, and support isn't going to improve. EA has more or less killed off support, because they moved 'em to Cold War.
When Vanguard comes out, they'll slowly move support away from Cold War to it.

BUT the gaming FPS drops are still there tho, a bit better but still there. There is a setting in war zone that shows the time that took the GPU and CPU to render a frame and I noticed something. GPU doesn’t go above 8 on clash (small map with 100 people) and is mostly stable on 6.
On the other hand CPU time is around 11 - 12, and when the drops happen it even goes to 18-20 but the GPU time is still stable. So, I’m guessing it’s a CPU related problem but it doesn’t overheat…
What could cause that?
installed the latest amd chipset driver before the gpu driver after fresh install?

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Software. The game engine is an un-optimized mess, and support isn't going to improve. EA has more or less killed off support, because they moved 'em to Cold War.
When Vanguard comes out, they'll slowly move support away from Cold War to it.
Aha, I see. Thing is I noticed similar drops on Fortnite too. I don’t know what to make of it. :/

also I tried msi afterburner only to monitor the frame rate and the graph actually wouldn’t show the drops that I saw on the in game frame rate if that means something.

installed the latest amd chipset driver before the gpu driver after fresh install?
Yes I did friend.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That would be real hard to figure out with Fortnite, due to how big that game is.
There's so many players on a map at a time, it's chaotic, the game is updated regularly(usually cosmetic).

also I tried msi afterburner only to monitor the frame rate and the graph actually wouldn’t show the drops that I saw on the in game frame rate if that means something.
The game's polling rate is faster than Afterburners?

I'm not saying your 2600 is defective but there's no doubt moving to a 5600x cpu will make a big improvement in your 1% lows (minimum fps in game) since there's a large IPC improvement, clock speed increase, as well as a lot more cpu cache on the 5600x. I see on the support page for your board that even though it's a 470 they have BIOS support for the 5600x listed. If you have the ability to purchase one I'd recommend you go that route.

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
That would be real hard to figure out with Fortnite, due to how big that game is.
There's so many players on a map at a time, it's chaotic, the game is updated regularly(usually cosmetic).

The game's polling rate is faster than Afterburners?
Aha, I see.
Ever looked at this? Although it is really for COD MW/Warzone ....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSXmzm783s

maybe this goes for other games you play too.
Yes mate I have already done that, I got a slight boost tbh thanks tho!

I'm not saying your 2600 is defective but there's no doubt moving to a 5600x cpu will make a big improvement in your 1% lows (minimum fps in game) since there's a large IPC improvement, clock speed increase, as well as a lot more cpu cache on the 5600x. I see on the support page for your board that even though it's a 470 they have BIOS support for the 5600x listed. If you have the ability to purchase one I'd recommend you go that route.
Makes sense, I will see that as a future solution. For now I'm out of budget. Thing is I talked with a friend and he gave me some good advice and since I'm on a stock cooler I was thinking of getting a coolermaster hyper 212 to push up the clocks a bit.
That'd definitely help right?

Thank you all again for the help, idk who to mark as solution. D:

mikeloff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Did you btw try to give the windows drive a cooler placement? Just to see if it helps.
I got an m.2 now and it improved things a lot, now it doesn’t spike so hard n <Mod Edit> so it’s all good. Just low 1%. That’s why I was thinking to push the clocks a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
After the bios update did you enable XMP/DOCP?

Was reading the thread again and saw this, why i asked,
I have an update guys, I got a fresh installation of Windows on an m.2 and desktop stutters are gone.

What could cause that?
Should have seen that first sentence before, would have saved one question. 😁