[SOLVED] FPS DROPS (stutters)

Jun 1, 2020
Hello! I have been PC Gaming for 2 years now. Ever since a month ago, i have been receiving FPS drops in my games. The FPS drops were not that bad, but it has now made my games somewhat unplayable. Fortnite has been impossibl to play with this fps drops. Valorant has now gotten like that as well. I have rebooted my PC and tried a lot of things. What could be the issue?

SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
GPU: Gtx 1060 6gb
Motherboard: ASROCK AB350M Pro4
Ram: 16gb DDR4 2400hz
CPU Temp: Betwen 60 and 66
GPU Temp: Between 65 and 70
HDD: 1.73 tb free of 1.81tb
SDD: 53 gb free of 111gb
Power Supply: Evga 600 watt 80 plus bronze

View: https://imgur.com/a/n6KGnzw

View: https://imgur.com/a/10AggNF

Fps drop example^^
Happens every 1 to 5 seconds in Fortnite
Happens every 5 to 10 seconds in Valorant

Solution
I can't put the power voltage cpu to automatic.. it' at 1.1875 but I don't know if I was supposed to increase that. It was originally 3600 1.1875, and now its 4000 1.1875 so I would assume I have to increase cpu voltage but idk by how much
No need to increase voltage if your system is stable. Do a CPU stress test to make sure it can handle the overclock, and if your PC does not crash during the stress test, you're good to go. Not all overclocks need an increase in voltage, especially if they aren't too high of an overclock. I think yours is a pretty mild overclock as well, so I doubt there's any need for extra voltage.
Jun 1, 2020
I have done all of those :(. Fortnite frames have been dropping to below 15 every couple of seconds but i dont get it. if i have it uncapped it can go to around 300 but it just drops out of nowhere

I have done all of those :(. Fortnite frames have been dropping to below 15 every couple of seconds but i dont get it. if i have it uncapped it can go to around 300 but it just drops out of nowhere
Any stray tasks in Task Manager? Try sorting the processes by CPU usage. Use MSI Afterburner's On screen display to check CPU and GPU usage, see if there is anything weird happening with the usage when the drops occur.

Open up task manager, see if there's anything using up your system resources in the background.
Bought a 6c/12t CPU to have enough threads,first advice "not enough threads"

At 200+ FPS the game does use all or at least most of your threads,if you have default settings you will have one thread being boosted much higher than the rest which could cause stutters,you should try and lock all your cores to the base clocks to see if it will be more stable.
You could also just try and put in a FPS limit,I mean what's wrong with 200FPS tops?!

At 200+ FPS the game does use all or at least most of your threads,if you have default settings you will have one thread being boosted much higher than the rest which could cause stutters,you should try and lock all your cores to the base clocks to see if it will be more stable.
You could also just try and put in a FPS limit,I mean what's wrong with 200FPS tops?!
An FPS limit might help, but I don't know for sure. I mean, maybe if the issue is that the CPU is boosting "too much" and suddenly dropping off the clock speed, it could cause the FPS drop, but if the issue is something else then the FPS would drop regardless of the FPS limit. Still, worth a shot though.

Jun 1, 2020

I cap it at 144fps and the fps stutters persist. I usually play at 144 and was trying to demonstrate the fps stutter in an uncapped situation. I have never used MSI afterburner, how can i lock all my cores.

Jun 1, 2020
An FPS limit might help, but I don't know for sure. I mean, maybe if the issue is that the CPU is boosting "too much" and suddenly dropping off the clock speed, it could cause the FPS drop, but if the issue is something else then the FPS would drop regardless of the FPS limit. Still, worth a shot though.
How do I use MSI afterburner to figure out what the issue is.

mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
hey dude
i guess that's because of V-sync
maybe you've installed geforce experience recently?
or some third party application changed the games graphic config? or you changed?
have u updated your windows or your graphic driver recently?
have you changed your display?
please say your min, ave and max fps on your games (try to limit the fps on something like 60 in the games)

Jun 1, 2020
hey dude
i guess that's because of V-sync
maybe you've installed geforce experience recently?
or some third party application changed the games graphic config? or you changed?
have u updated your windows or your graphic driver recently?
have you changed your display?
please say your min, ave and max fps on your games (try to limit the fps on something like 60 in the games)
I used afterburner and I realized my gpu usage is very low for some reason, below 50%. I don't know how to fix it. also, my cpu clock speed drops once in a while. Do you know how tof ix these?

Jun 1, 2020
i have a ryzen 5 2600x...with afterburner i can see the clock speed is at 3825 or 3850 for most of the times. But every once in a while the clock speed drops to 525 or some random number less than 3k. Is this normal? Can this be the cause to the fps stutters I have been getting?

That drop in the clock speed of the CPU is highly likely to be the cause of this issue. The low GPU usage means you have a CPU bottleneck, but in games that aren't very graphically demanding, this is normal, especially if you are playing at lower quality preset. You can increase the GPU usage to reduce the CPU load by turning up the quality settings, this will decrease your FPS and put more load on the GPU and lesser on the CPU. Also, try going into your BIOS and setting the CPU core ratio/multiplier to a fixed number rather than auto, like 38. This way, the CPU will be forced at always run at 3.8 GHz, which might fix the issue.

Jun 1, 2020
That drop in the clock speed of the CPU is highly likely to be the cause of this issue. The low GPU usage means you have a CPU bottleneck, but in games that aren't very graphically demanding, this is normal, especially if you are playing at lower quality preset. You can increase the GPU usage to reduce the CPU load by turning up the quality settings, this will decrease your FPS and put more load on the GPU and lesser on the CPU. Also, try going into your BIOS and setting the CPU core ratio/multiplier to a fixed number rather than auto, like 38. This way, the CPU will be forced at always run at 3.8 GHz, which might fix the issue.
I am trying to find CPU core ratio/multiplier but I cannot find it. I have an asrock motherboard and i can't find that. and if my base clock is 3.6, how would i change it to 3.8 and what wuld the power voltage be? But first, yeah, I can't find cpu core ratio/multiplier.

There should be an OC Tweaker section in the BIOS, and there should be a heading called CPU frequency. Set that to manual, then set your CPU frequency to 3700 (3.7 GHz, just to be safe). If you cannot find these settings, try uploading an image of your BIOS so I can help further.

mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
I used afterburner and I realized my gpu usage is very low for some reason, below 50%. I don't know how to fix it. also, my cpu clock speed drops once in a while. Do you know how tof ix these?
well it's getting a lit bit complicated :/
I don't like afterburner really
but there's something here, if you are playing fortnite even on the ultimate setting the 50% usage is normal!
Cuz this game doesn't have a great graphic
It's ok about fortnite!
The afterburner or every other programs like that show the amount of used gpu ram.
There's a point that not too much people know about gpu ram, how much your screen is big has effect on using ram, i mean sometimes all of the CUDA cores are involved in processing but because of the screen is small like 16 inch, there's no need than 3 gigabyte (4 example im saying)
So if your screen is like 20 inches so don't
worry about that!

But if you have a bigger one like 24 inches or 26 inches or bigger screen, yeah! Something is wrong!

I suggest with some third party applications, delimitate your fps in the games for making the fps stable!

Try the full screen or windowed bordless modes too! Sometimes it works!

If all of these wouldn't work, i say there's some recently installed application running in the background and they're refreshing every few seconds "they come up like pop up then disappear in just one second" it seems weird but it can cause this issue, I've experienced this before, the thing is when they run or refresh for one second, because their priority in the processing is more than "4 example fortnite" so the gpu processing goes so low because they aren't like games and system finds out that there's no need to high gpu processing so boom! Fps drop!
Put the games' priority in the task manager on the highest level
Just check for recently installed programs on your pc and get help from task manager and find the program. "if there is"
And sorry for late replying
Good luck

well it's getting a lit bit complicated :/
I don't like afterburner really
but there's something here, if you are playing fortnite even on the ultimate setting the 50% usage is normal!
Cuz this game doesn't have a great graphic
It's ok about fortnite!
The afterburner or every other programs like that show the amount of used gpu ram.
There's a point that not too much people know about gpu ram, how much your screen is big has effect on using ram, i mean sometimes all of the CUDA cores are involved in processing but because of the screen is small like 16 inch, there's no need than 3 gigabyte (4 example im saying)
So if your screen is like 20 inches so don't
worry about that!

But if you have a bigger one like 24 inches or 26 inches or bigger screen, yeah! Something is wrong!

I suggest with some third party applications, delimitate your fps in the games for making the fps stable!

Try the full screen or windowed bordless modes too! Sometimes it works!

If all of these wouldn't work, i say there's some recently installed application running in the background and they're refreshing every few seconds "they come up like pop up then disappear in just one second" it seems weird but it can cause this issue, I've experienced this before, the thing is when they run or refresh for one second, because their priority in the processing is more than "4 example fortnite" so the gpu processing goes so low because they aren't like games and system finds out that there's no need to high gpu processing so boom! Fps drop!
Put the games' priority in the task manager on the highest level
Just check for recently installed programs on your pc and get help from task manager and find the program. "if there is"
And sorry for late replying
Good luck
Do you have a source on the claim of VRAM usage and screen size? Just curious to know more, it sounds like make-believe so I'd just like to know where you got it from and whether it is legit or not.

mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
It is legit?! What do you mean?!
Well you know how to use Google i guess? so maybe you can find something about that.
for games the processing and showing the pictures "frames" should have be done in a while, right? So bigger size means bigger resolution so naturally you'd need better gpu processing and more vram.
It was just about the games
About videos, let me ask you a question
do you think processing a 4k movie on a mobile screen" like 6 inches" is exactly like on a 48 inches "both processing with pc"
I believe the bit rate of the video, the dpi of the screen and a lot of other things affect on the gpu processing, what do you think think?

It is legit?! What do you mean?!
Well you know how to use Google i guess? so maybe you can find something about that.
for games the processing and showing the pictures "frames" should have be done in a while, right? So bigger size means bigger resolution so naturally you'd need better gpu processing and more vram.
It was just about the games
About videos, let me ask you a question
do you think processing a 4k movie on a mobile screen" like 6 inches" is exactly like on a 48 inches "both processing with pc"
I believe the bit rate of the video, the dpi of the screen and a lot of other things affect on the gpu processing, what do you think think?
I don't see why you're being offended, I genuinely want to just see a source that goes into the topic and actually supports what you're claiming - I'm not saying you are wrong. Though, now that you are trying to explain it, it does seem like you are wrong, at least on some accounts.

Bigger screen size does not ALWAYS mean higher resolution. In general it does mean that, but not always. Since resolution has to do with the number of vertical and horizontal pixels on the screen, a smaller screen could still be higher resolution, and a larger one can most definitely be low resolution - an easy example being that my TV is larger than most 1440p monitors, but only has a 1080p resolution. So no, bigger screen size does not mean bigger resolution. But yes, bigger resolution does need better GPU resources.

Also, I'm not completely sure, but I'm pretty confident that 4K on a 6 inch screen and a 48 inch screen takes the same amount of horsepower(though of course phone 4K is a different resolution than 4K for monitors), because the number of pixels to be rendered is the same, regardless of how densely packed they are into the screen. The bit rate definitely affects the power needed, but again I don't think dpi affects how much processing power a video or game needs, because dpi is just a physical characteristic of the screen - it does not affect the image when it is being rendered by the GPU, but resolution does affect the rendering of an image by the GPU.

mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
I don't see why you're being offended, I genuinely want to just see a source that goes into the topic and actually supports what you're claiming - I'm not saying you are wrong. Though, now that you are trying to explain it, it does seem like you are wrong, at least on some accounts.

Bigger screen size does not ALWAYS mean higher resolution. In general it does mean that, but not always. Since resolution has to do with the number of vertical and horizontal pixels on the screen, a smaller screen could still be higher resolution, and a larger one can most definitely be low resolution - an easy example being that my TV is larger than most 1440p monitors, but only has a 1080p resolution. So no, bigger screen size does not mean bigger resolution. But yes, bigger resolution does need better GPU resources.

Also, I'm not completely sure, but I'm pretty confident that 4K on a 6 inch screen and a 48 inch screen takes the same amount of horsepower(though of course phone 4K is a different resolution than 4K for monitors), because the number of pixels to be rendered is the same, regardless of how densely packed they are into the screen. The bit rate definitely affects the power needed, but again I don't think dpi affects how much processing power a video or game needs, because dpi is just a physical characteristic of the screen - it does not affect the image when it is being rendered by the GPU, but resolution does affect the rendering of an image by the GPU.
hey dude, i'm sorry if you took my last reply as an offensive one! i dont know maybe i had a hard day with customers in my game store, then i saw your reply haha! but no, seriously, there was no offence. sorry if i made you sad.

maybe i said my explain in not a obvious way, of course big screen doesn't mean bigger resolution every time!
yes absolutely i meant the resolution, the first factor of using VRAM is resolution.
i mean yeah, i get ya! i have a 42 inches tv with 1080p but we all know some monitors that are so smaller but got 4k resolution for sure!

and about the other thing, the 4k resolution in 6 inches phone, is exactly the resolution on a 48 inches TV, but the diffrence are dpi and how big pixels are! "by the way i don't think the HORSEPOWER is a proper word for this subject" :)

about bit rate yeah! it does take much more power "in all of the games, on 1080p or 720p or anything else, i believe that there's a standard defined bit rate for every resolutions! so it just ups to videos "not games". i mean all of the games that are running on 1080p have one obvious bit rate "am i right?"

about dpi, the thing you've mentioned is totally right. dpi means dots per inches, so it's just a physical characteristic as my man said. BUT CONSIDER something! more dpi means more pixels in a inch! that means more pixels in a defined area! so we all know that smaller screens like smartphones got more dpi than TVs because they're small! JUST SEE a 6 inches phone should have 4k pixels, while a random 48 inches TV can not support more than 1080p! 6 inches with4k vs 48 inches with 1080p! as i said in the last post about THE GAMES, the processing and showing frames should have be done in a second! now here the question comes up!
being small or big and the dpi of a screen is really have affects on the gpu processing!? i don't know more! if you know something, that's be my pleasure to share with me.

sorry again, i'm just here to help someone "you know this too"
although i got the "it does seem like you are wrong" as a disback =)
and i guess the topic owner wouldn't be so glad from our discuss here xD
so let's just help him and i don't know, trend or post this thing on tom's hardware and get other's idea too?

Reactions: Shektron
hey dude, i'm sorry if you took my last reply as an offensive one! i dont know maybe i had a hard day with customers in my game store, then i saw your reply haha! but no, seriously, there was no offence. sorry if i made you sad.

maybe i said my explain in not a obvious way, of course big screen doesn't mean bigger resolution every time!
yes absolutely i meant the resolution, the first factor of using VRAM is resolution.
i mean yeah, i get ya! i have a 42 inches tv with 1080p but we all know some monitors that are so smaller but got 4k resolution for sure!

and about the other thing, the 4k resolution in 6 inches phone, is exactly the resolution on a 48 inches TV, but the diffrence are dpi and how big pixels are! "by the way i don't think the HORSEPOWER is a proper word for this subject" :)

about bit rate yeah! it does take much more power "in all of the games, on 1080p or 720p or anything else, i believe that there's a standard defined bit rate for every resolutions! so it just ups to videos "not games". i mean all of the games that are running on 1080p have one obvious bit rate "am i right?"

about dpi, the thing you've mentioned is totally right. dpi means dots per inches, so it's just a physical characteristic as my man said. BUT CONSIDER something! more dpi means more pixels in a inch! that means more pixels in a defined area! so we all know that smaller screens like smartphones got more dpi than TVs because they're small! JUST SEE a 6 inches phone should have 4k pixels, while a random 48 inches TV can not support more than 1080p! 6 inches with4k vs 48 inches with 1080p! as i said in the last post about THE GAMES, the processing and showing frames should have be done in a second! now here the question comes up!
being small or big and the dpi of a screen is really have affects on the gpu processing!? i don't know more! if you know something, that's be my pleasure to share with me.

sorry again, i'm just here to help someone "you know this too"
although i got the "it does seem like you are wrong" as a disback =)
and i guess the topic owner wouldn't be so glad from our discuss here xD
so let's just help him and i don't know, trend or post this thing on tom's hardware and get other's idea too?
That's okay man, maybe my reply to your post came through as argumentative. It's all good though.

About the whole 6 inches with 4k vs 48 inches with 1080p, of course the VRAM and power need will be different since the resolution is also different, like you said. What I was talking about is 6 inches with 4k vs48 inches with 4k - even though the dpi will be different for these two screens, the VRAM usage will be approximately similar. I feel that dpi and resolution can be said to be connected, but ultimately it's the resolution, not dpi, that affects the processing of frames.

Jun 1, 2020
There should be an OC Tweaker section in the BIOS, and there should be a heading called CPU frequency. Set that to manual, then set your CPU frequency to 3700 (3.7 GHz, just to be safe). If you cannot find these settings, try uploading an image of your BIOS so I can help further.
I set the frequency to 4000 ghz, what should i make the power voltage...currently it was at 3600 1.1875
Do you think 4000 ghz is not safe and I should lower it? Temps are currently fine at 4000 tho

Jun 1, 2020
I set the frequency to 4000 ghz, what should i make the power voltage...currently it was at 3600 1.1875
Do you think 4000 ghz is not safe and I should lower it? Temps are currently fine at 4000 tho
If you believe I should lower the clock speed, I will do so, but setting the clock speed has definitely fixed all my problems. I just dont know wat to set it to and how much power voltage i should set it at.

If the system is stable, leave it at 4.0 GHz. The out-of-the-box all-core turbo is around the 4.0 GHz mark anyway, so technically you aren't overclocking it at all, just disabling the automatic overclocking and setting it manually to always run at 4.0 GHz, which shouldn't be a problem.