Question Fps drops while playing games.

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
Lately I have been having some problems with sudden fps drops while playing games. I was playing far cry 5 with ultra settings and hd resolution with an fps of around 65. Then after sometimes it got dropped to 10 fps. Don't know what's happening.

My system specs:

Motherboard- gigabyte B85M-D3H-A
Graphics card- zotac GeForce GTX 1660amp
Ram- 8gb Corsair
Processor- Intel core i7 4790

beinik6

Respectable
Nov 12, 2017
Maybe thermal throttling?

Please use a Software to monitor your CPU/GPU Temperatures and tell us what they are when:
  • Not playing anything (idle)
  • Playing the game for a bit but still with normal FPS
  • Playing the game with the 10 FPS+- you have after some playtime.

Reactions: Astrix008
Lately I have been having some problems with sudden fps drops while playing games. I was playing far cry 5 with ultra settings and hd resolution with an fps of around 65. Then after sometimes it got dropped to 10 fps. Don't know what's happening.

My system specs:

Motherboard- gigabyte B85M-D3H-A
Graphics card- zotac GeForce GTX 1660amp
Ram- 8gb Corsair
Processor- Intel core i7 4790
Are you using 1x8GB or 2x4GB modules? Is it so far only Far Cry 5 having the stutter/hitching and frame drops? Also, Far Cry 5 had an update over a year ago that, from what I have read of peoples efforts to fix it, introduced a stutter when walking over items or picking up items and there are also other general stutter issues. I experienced it all when I played through on my i7-2600k and 4770s. I still see the stutter on my Ryzen 5 2600, but to a far lesser extend.

Reactions: Astrix008

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
Are you using 1x8GB or 2x4GB modules? Is it so far only Far Cry 5 having the stutter/hitching and frame drops? Also, Far Cry 5 had an update over a year ago that, from what I have read of peoples efforts to fix it, introduced a stutter when walking over items or picking up items and there are also other general stutter issues. I experienced it all when I played through on my i7-2600k and 4770s. I still see the stutter on my Ryzen 5 2600, but to a far lesser extend.
i have a single 8gb module and the thing is that recently I had to change my smps so , previously I had 550w one but I had to change it because it stopped working maybe because recently I also bought a new graphics card {gtx 1660 amp zotac}so, now I have a 750w smps . so ,the problem had started since I changed the smps. I played witcher3 on max settings and it ran really smooth but now I can feel that heavy difference.

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
Maybe thermal throttling?

Please use a Software to monitor your CPU/GPU Temperatures and tell us what they are when:
  • Not playing anything (idle)
  • Playing the game for a bit but still with normal FPS
  • Playing the game with the 10 FPS+- you have after some playtime.
gpu temp idle - 61degree C
gpu temp while playing game(witcher 3) - 82degree C
gpu temp while fps drop- 82degree C

software used for monitoring temp- FIRESTORM

I even formatted my whole system and upgraded my OS from win 7 to win 10, but still I'm facing the same problem.
Have you tried your previous graphics card and what is the model of your 750 watt power supply? You haven't actually tested your CPU temps so it's possible your CPU may be overheating and causing thermal throttle so games or other programs have a drop in performance. For a quick look at CPU temps download Core Temp 1.15.1. If the CPU is reaching 50+c when idle, it may mean your CPU is overheating, either because of an insufficient CPU cooler or the thermal paste needs to be replaced. If you set your games to run in windowed mode, you can see temperatures by setting Core Temp to show temperature in the task bar near the clock.

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
Have you tried your previous graphics card and what is the model of your 750 watt power supply? You haven't actually tested your CPU temps so it's possible your CPU may be overheating and causing thermal throttle so games or other programs have a drop in performance. For a quick look at CPU temps download Core Temp 1.15.1. If the CPU is reaching 50+c when idle, it may mean your CPU is overheating, either because of an insufficient CPU cooler or the thermal paste needs to be replaced. If you set your games to run in windowed mode, you can see temperatures by setting Core Temp to show temperature in the task bar near the clock.
My previous graphics card (r7-370 4gb)died because of some reasons that's why I had to buy a new one. But I do agree with the fact that overheating could be an issue because everything was fine until I changed my smps and my cpu cabinet is also of 4years back, and it could be a reason that it only has one fan in the cabinet, so there isn't enough cooling but my pc worked fine when I had 550w smps.

Previous smps- antec vp550p (550w)
Current smps - circle pro series CG 750w 80+ white power supply.

My previous graphics card (r7-370 4gb)died because of some reasons that's why I had to buy a new one. But I do agree with the fact that overheating could be an issue because everything was fine until I changed my smps and my cpu cabinet is also of 4years back, and it could be a reason that it only has one fan in the cabinet, so there isn't enough cooling but my pc worked fine when I had 550w smps.

Previous smps- antec vp550p (550w)
Current smps - circle pro series CG 750w 80+ white power supply.
Depending on the games you were playing, that R7 370 could have been as much as 10c cooler than your GTX 1660. It might be just enough to start causing overheating issues in a case with very poor ventilation. You should really have at minimum one fan sucking air in and one blowing out.

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
Depending on the games you were playing, that R7 370 could have been as much as 10c cooler than your GTX 1660. It might be just enough to start causing overheating issues in a case with very poor ventilation. You should really have at minimum one fan sucking air in and one blowing out.
I guess so, but don't you think that 750w smps could be the real issue? Or I might have to switch to a lower watt smps?

I guess so, but don't you think that 750w smps could be the real issue? Or I might have to switch to a lower watt smps?
From what I have found online, your power supply is actually the lowest quality that can be certified, being 80+ White (usually just called 80+) is actually a certification below 80+ Bronze. It might just not be of good enough quality and can't supply your system well enough, but usually the system will crash if the PSU can't feed it the required power.

If your old 550 watt still works, you could try using it again since it has the required PCIE cable connections for the GTX 1660. If it doesn't work, try to buy something higher quality, minimum 80+ bronze or get gold if it's in your price range. A 550-650watt bronze or gold should be enough for your system as long as it has the proper PCIE cables you need.

Astrix008

Reputable
Oct 26, 2019
From what I have found online, your power supply is actually the lowest quality that can be certified, being 80+ White (usually just called 80+) is actually a certification below 80+ Bronze. It might just not be of good enough quality and can't supply your system well enough, but usually the system will crash if the PSU can't feed it the required power.

If your old 550 watt still works, you could try using it again since it has the required PCIE cable connections for the GTX 1660. If it doesn't work, try to buy something higher quality, minimum 80+ bronze or get gold if it's in your price range. A 550-650watt bronze or gold should be enough for your system as long as it has the proper PCIE cables you need.
Right now I noticed that the fans of my graphics card aren't spinning even on 82degree C .so, I don't think that's normal right ??because i read it on zotac site that it should spin from 63C onwards , so that could be the issue right?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah fans should be kicking in around 63~64c and is a worry that they're not.

Check frequency and temps with gpuz. Try Msi Afterburner and force fan curve to a lower temperature.

Regarding FC5 specifically, this game does stutter in places, especially picking up magazines/money in loot locations. I believe it's how the game accesses the hdd/ssd and cloud saves during this time causing the stutter.

Drops to 10 fps are hard to correlate with throttling. I would look elsewhere, maybe hard drive or ram bottleneck resulting in page file usage. You can try to copy your game to another drive. If it does the same, drop the settings to the lowest as this will mitigate ram load. Open world games need both a fast/healthy drive and a fast dual channel memory. dips below 60 are normal with a single stick 8gb of ram