[SOLVED] FPS drops with RTX 3080 Ti & Ryzen 5 5900X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2022
I dont get it. I tried everything on my RTX 3080TI. I keep getting frame drops in fortnite and every other game. CPU is Ryzen 9 5900X.

Tried installing old driver: Not working
Clean Install: Not working
Ram Xmp: not working
Power mode max performance: not working

The Problem: The GPU is running at 50% in Fortnite; cpu at 40
Idk why it doesnt go up to 100%
The nvidia forum looks like many other people got this problem with their 3060/3070/3080.
It cant be real that my high end card gets less fps than a rtx 2060

ANY possible fixes are appreciated, i want to cry rn :(

(Lemme know if u need any other measurements/hardware)

Solution
Gpu is one of the last 'steps' in the graphics rendering pipeline. If its usage is low, it's usually waiting on work due to the other steps.
Some folks will see low gpu usage, and be like, "Something's wrong with my gpu." Often, it's something else that's tripping up.

Fortnite is also cpu single thread bound - well, many games are. Combined with the OP playing at 1080p, and probably turning down some graphics eye candy to max out minimum fps like many playing this kind of game would likely do, cpu workload increases further.
Cpu and gpu aren't the only steps though.

Anyone got another fix I can try?
Nothing really alarming in the UBM results.
Whatever is up is something less obvious, since you can't reproduce it across...
Hey there,

Yes, you will really need to provide your full system specs, so we can try help diagnose. Everything from ram/mobo/make model to PSU too.

Also, just to note, this percentage usage is very typical of strong CPU and GPU combo. You have a 12c/24t CPU and one of the most powerful GPU's currently available. Of course a game like Fortnight is not going to use anywhere near 100% usage in either metric. They are so overpowered for that game it's unreal. Don't get hung up on usage. That can be down to how a game is optimized, more than the hardware you're using.

Reactions: Phaaze88

OGrabMe

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
Hey there,

Yes, you will really need to provide your full system specs, so we can try help diagnose. Everything from ram/mobo/make model to PSU too.

Also, just to note, this percentage usage is very typical of strong CPU and GPU combo. You have a 12c/24t CPU and one of the most powerful GPU's currently available. Of course a game like Fortnight is not going to use anywhere near 100% usage in either metric. They are so overpowered for that game it's unreal. Don't get hung up on usage. That can be down to how a game is optimized, more than the hardware you're using.
If he is not using gsync, vsync or something like it that limits fps, his gpu should still work as hard as it can, to produce as many fps as it can.... It makes no sense that it would limit itself at 50% unless something is wrong...

Jan 22, 2022
Hey there,

Full Specs:
GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS RTX 3080 Ti MASTER (GV-N308TAORUS M-12GD)
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
1080p
Monitor: 240Hz
AIO: Corsair iCUE H150i Capellix
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM850x (850 Watt)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL schwarz DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL18-22-22-42
SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB, m.2
(Read: 3400MB/s ; Write: 2300MB/s)

All things are up to date, as I already said. I also tried older drivers, didnt change anything.

XMP es activated (D.M.O.C) , Ram is running at 3200MHz instead of the 3600 it can offer, because at the amd page the processor memory speed shows 3200Mhz.

Bios is up to date.
Will check my PSU, so i can see how many single cables are connected and if there daisy chaines.

Gsync and vsync is off.

CPU and GPU are about 60-67 degrees hot.

GPU is running stable at around 1860MHz.

CPU at 4800MHz.

If u still need to know something, just ask :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Full Specs:
GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS RTX 3080 Ti MASTER (GV-N308TAORUS M-12GD)
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
1080p
Monitor: 240Hz
AIO: Corsair iCUE H150i Capellix
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM850x (850 Watt)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Mainboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL schwarz DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL18-22-22-42
SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB, m.2
(Read: 3400MB/s ; Write: 2300MB/s)

All things are up to date, as I already said. I also tried older drivers, didnt change anything.

XMP es activated (D.M.O.C) , Ram is running at 3200MHz instead of the 3600 it can offer, because at the amd page the processor memory speed shows 3200Mhz.

Bios is up to date.
Will check my PSU, so i can see how many single cables are connected and if there daisy chaines.

Gsync and vsync is off.

CPU and GPU are about 60-67 degrees hot.

GPU is running stable at around 1860MHz.

CPU at 4800MHz.

If u still need to know something, just ask :)
Run userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
DOCP should be at 3600MHz as the motherboard supports it. It doesn't matter if CPU doesn't.

Jan 22, 2022
What kind of "frame drops" are we talking? A 3080ti @ 1080p isn't going to even be close to ever pushing 100% usage.

Hi. So, when im playing fortnite, everything epic, no raytracing, no DLLS (or idk how its called exactly) I get about 200FPS max, which is good (if I rely on the things I saw on YT). But, its not playable, bc every seconds, the frames are dropping to 100-80-60 and going back up. I also got these micro stutters. Simply not playable.

Edit: I play on 1080p, it doesnt matter if I play dx11, dx12 or performance mode. My frames keeps going down to 100-80-60, the only difference between these modes are my max frames. On performance mode, my max is about 1200-1400 Frames. As I said, it isnt stable, so unplayable. It is like that in every game I play.

Jan 22, 2022
Run userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
DOCP should be at 3600MHz as the motherboard supports it. It doesn't matter if CPU doesn't.

Ok. Did a clean install so I can go back to windows 10. Still bad performance. Do I have to run DDU, even tho I clean installed windows? Anyways, my ram is running at 3600MHz now. Here are the userbenchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49852671

Jan 22, 2022
Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers and in windows use high performance profile in power management.

I installed the latest chipset drivers before I clean installed. The high performance in power management was there before the clean install aswell. Do I have to change it/install it again?

Jan 22, 2022
DDU is not needed after a clean windows installation. Can you try another GPU in your system or your GPU in another system?

Sadly, none of these options are possible for me. Its sad to know that I tried so much and payed around 2k for the card just for it not working properly.

Any fixes are still appreciated. Will keep troubleshooting till it works…

Jan 22, 2022
That RTX 3080 TI seems to need at least a 850watts according to Gigabytes web.

Did you used 3 independet 8 PIN power cables from the PSU to feed the GPU?

Or are you using some kind of daisy chain cables?
Hi

The problem is, I dont know how to check that without putting out every part of the pc, bc I payed someone to build it for me…

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Think from memory it asks to install Armoury Crate soon after installing Windows. If it is installed, simply uninstalling it might not help because apparently it's a pita to uninstall and many components still linger. Might need to reinstall Windows if that's the case but see first what uninstalling it does.

Jan 22, 2022
Think from memory it asks to install Armoury Crate soon after installing Windows. If it is installed, simply uninstalling it might not help because apparently it's a pita to uninstall and many components still linger. Might need to reinstall Windows if that's the case but see first what uninstalling it does.

Yo, I clicked „no“ when it asked me to install armoury crate. Dont think thats the problem.

If you know how I can check how many seperate cables are connectet from PSU to GPU and which of them are daisy chained, without completely building my pc again, let me know :)

Still troubleshooting till it works :)

Yo, I clicked „no“ when it asked me to install armoury crate. Dont think thats the problem.

If you know how I can check how many seperate cables are connectet from PSU to GPU and which of them are daisy chained, without completely building my pc again, let me know :)

Still troubleshooting till it works :)

Only you have access to your PC internals, we have no idea how it looks there.

Status
Not open for further replies.