[SOLVED] FPS drops with RTX 3080 Ti & Ryzen 5 5900X ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2022
I dont get it. I tried everything on my RTX 3080TI. I keep getting frame drops in fortnite and every other game. CPU is Ryzen 9 5900X.

Tried installing old driver: Not working
Clean Install: Not working
Ram Xmp: not working
Power mode max performance: not working

The Problem: The GPU is running at 50% in Fortnite; cpu at 40
Idk why it doesnt go up to 100%
The nvidia forum looks like many other people got this problem with their 3060/3070/3080.
It cant be real that my high end card gets less fps than a rtx 2060

ANY possible fixes are appreciated, i want to cry rn :(

(Lemme know if u need any other measurements/hardware)

Solution
Gpu is one of the last 'steps' in the graphics rendering pipeline. If its usage is low, it's usually waiting on work due to the other steps.
Some folks will see low gpu usage, and be like, "Something's wrong with my gpu." Often, it's something else that's tripping up.

Fortnite is also cpu single thread bound - well, many games are. Combined with the OP playing at 1080p, and probably turning down some graphics eye candy to max out minimum fps like many playing this kind of game would likely do, cpu workload increases further.
Cpu and gpu aren't the only steps though.

Anyone got another fix I can try?
Nothing really alarming in the UBM results.
Whatever is up is something less obvious, since you can't reproduce it across...
Jan 22, 2022
No, theres not.

Depending on how the cable management is, and if you have the glass side panel, you may be able to see if there are 3 power cables coming to your GPU.

Hi. I got IMPORTANT news. I didnt checked the cables btw.

But I dont think that matters rn. I played call of duty vanguard a few minutes ago and my GPU was running perfectly fine at the 97-99%, like it should. Everything on ultra, still about 200-240 FPS. No drops. Nothing.

In fortnite tho, I can barely reach 140 FPS on ultra, and my drops are terrible. On other youtube benchmarks, from youtubers like mongraal, they played it with performance mode and the same graphics card and got about 900-1000 FPS when uncapped.

Their GPU is about 99% in Fortnite aswell, like it should be. But for me, its about 50%, only 2 of the 12 cores get around 100% time to time, but they dont stay there.

Is Fortnite (an these other esports games as well) just terribly optimized or what?

Still troubleshooting until it works :)

Jan 22, 2022
Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers and in windows use high performance profile in power management.

But I dont think that matters rn. I played call of duty vanguard a few minutes ago and my GPU was running perfectly fine at the 97-99%, like it should. Everything on ultra, still about 200-240 FPS. No drops. Nothing.

In fortnite tho, I can barely reach 140 FPS on ultra, and my drops are terrible. On other youtube benchmarks, from youtubers like mongraal, they played it with performance mode and the same graphics card and got about 900-1000 FPS when uncapped.

Their GPU is about 99% in Fortnite aswell, like it should be. But for me, its about 50%, only 2 of the 12 cores get around 100% time to time, but they dont stay there.

Is Fortnite (an these other esports games as well) just terribly optimized or what?

Jan 22, 2022
Yes. Install again.

FYI theres no need to make 3 identical answer, you can just multi-quote all the post you need and just make 1 answer.

Perhaps Fornite issue is more related to your Internet connection reliability (ISP may suck on it)? Have you tried another online game?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022
FYI theres no need to make 3 identical answer, you can just multi-quote all the post you need and just make 1 answer.

Perhaps Fornite issue is more related to your Internet connection reliability (IPS may suck on it)? Have you tried another online game?

Oh, I didnt knew that.

Internet connection is fine (90 download, 30 upload (ookla speedtest)).
Dont know what IPS is.

Call of duty vanguard is an online game. Ill try another game if u want me to do that :)

Still troubleshooting till it works :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu is one of the last 'steps' in the graphics rendering pipeline. If its usage is low, it's usually waiting on work due to the other steps.
Some folks will see low gpu usage, and be like, "Something's wrong with my gpu." Often, it's something else that's tripping up.

Fortnite is also cpu single thread bound - well, many games are. Combined with the OP playing at 1080p, and probably turning down some graphics eye candy to max out minimum fps like many playing this kind of game would likely do, cpu workload increases further.

Anyone got another fix I can try?
Whatever is up is something less obvious, since you can't reproduce it across multiple titles, and the usual questions around cpu/gpu temperatures, driver/bios updates, Windows clean installs, don't seem to make any progress.
High internet ping, specifically in Fortnite?
Don't put all your eggs in one basket, i.e., have your game library, OS, and other programs on the same drive. Even if it is an SSD, it's still slower that way, and could be a cause of hiccups.
Is there a multi-monitor setup at play here? If so, do they have different native refresh rates?

Speaking of gpu temperatures, there are 2 other sensors you should be checking - gpu hotspot and Vram. Use hwinfo and see how hot they get in Fortnite.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
Jan 22, 2022

Whatever is up is something less obvious, since you can't reproduce it across multiple titles, and the usual questions around cpu/gpu temperatures, driver/bios updates, Windows clean installs, don't seem to make any progress.
High internet ping, specifically in Fortnite?
Don't put all your eggs in one basket, i.e., have your game library, OS, and other programs on the same drive. Even if it is an SSD, it's still slower that way, and could be a cause of hiccups.
Is there a multi-monitor setup at play here? If so, do they have different native refresh rates?

Speaking of gpu temperatures, there are 2 other sensors you should be checking - gpu hotspot and Vram. Use hwinfo and see how hot they get in Fortnite.
Ping is low. 5-10.

Only got one SSD. Its 500GB big.

I only use 1 240hz monitor.

I will check these temperatures and come back.

Still troubleshooting till it works :)

kaspervl

Reputable
May 9, 2018
Haay, dont know it it helps. But i have the exact same problem.
My pc.
Also a gigabyte 3080ti aorus master
I9 9900k and 2660mhz ram

Every game works fine. Vr games, battlefield V with raytracing. But fortnite unplayable,

The fps in fortnite is good. But constant lag spikes.

I alsof tried al posible setting in fortnite. Aswel als reinstalling drivers.

I think its a fortnite or driver problem, seeing how the other games work fine. Just waiting for a update i guess.

But iwill keep a eye on this post. Just in case there is a fix

Apr 7, 2022
Hello, do you use G-hub or logitech gaming software? Put it off. And when you have a logitech mouse lower the polling rate to 500 or less. For me this where the problems. I did everything like bios updates, changes. Changes things in windows. Driver updates. Another RAM sticks. Change from amd 6800xt to nvidia 3080 ti. Benchmark tests ect. Nothing worked. Now this “ small bug” where the problem for me and this problem is known about 3 years now. Very wierd. Hope it solve your problem or someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.