FPS drops without typical problems

dlinden55

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I am experiencing unusual FPS drops in a game that my system has previously been able to handle easily (League of Legends). Typically I can get 100-140 FPS - way above what I need since I have a 60Hz monitor.

Here recently I've had 23-50 FPS while playing LoL. I'm monitoring my CPU temperatures and they've been nice and cool - typically in the 30s or 40s *C, with rare spikes into the low 50s.

I'm also monitoring my system performance from the task manager. CPU, memory, disk, and GPU all stay well below max as I play. (I have task manager and my temperature monitor up on another screen so I can glance over periodically.)

I did a clean installation of Win10 a few days ago because I upgraded to an SSD. There isn't tons on the system right now because of that. Windows is fully updated.

Any guesses on what could be causing the problem? My system specs are below. Thanks!

i5-4690K (not overclocked)

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4 GB VRAM (currently sitting in a x8 slot since I broke the clip off the x16 slot, but that hasn't been a problem)

16 GB DDR3 RAM

500 GB Samsung SSD

1 TB WD HDD

Full-tower case with plenty of fans

Scythe Grand Kama Cross CPU cooler

dlinden55

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

I have never even heard of SSD alignment, but I think you are on to something. It is not correctly aligned. I'll correct that and see how it does. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS