Question FPS drops

Apr 12, 2019
Hello Everyone.
I need help. So i've just built my first rig.
Componets:
Mobo: MSI B450 gaming plus
Ram: Kingston hyperx 3200 8gb (two sticks, 16gb total)
Processor: Ryzen 5 2400g
GPU: GTX 1070ti 8gb
I've updated all drivers except bios. My mobo came amd ready, so i didn't think i needed an update. problem is with fps. I get 75fps max and it drops as low as 35smth fps. I played skyrim just to test it. This is not the latest game as you all know so i was shocked of the fps. Whenever there is smoke in the game - fps drops to 40-50 instantly and it noticeably laggs. Anyone experienced here please help me. What could be the problem. Is it really because of the bottleneck of cpu/gpu? Hard to believe..
P.S. Played the game on ultra settings.

Last edited:
What are your CPU/GPU temps under load?

Try it on more than one game. Running Skyrim with a lot of mods will definitely hurt performance.

Additionally, you made a mistake by pairing a 2400g with a 1070ti. There will be a CPU bottleneck in some titles with that GPU. You should have paired a 2600 with the 1070ti and not the 2400g. But what is done is done.

Reactions: Needele
Apr 12, 2019
What are your CPU/GPU temps under load?

Try it on more than one game. Running Skyrim with a lot of mods will definitely hurt performance.

Additionally, you made a mistake by pairing a 2400g with a 1070ti. There will be a CPU bottleneck in some titles with that GPU. You should have paired a 2600 with the 1070ti and not the 2400g. But what is done is done.

My CPU temp is 44degrees max, GPU around 45/50.
I've tried with Crysis 3 too. (testing with what i have). FPS fluctuates a lot also. From 80 to 30 fps back & forth. I havent installed any mods in skyrim actually. I realise that i have messed up a with CPU, but for some time i didn't had GPU, so i had to go this route. Is it really normal to have 75 fps as a max default? I've tried Path of Exile too and there fps doesn't fluctuate but doesnt go beyond 75 either.

I've found a specific spot in Skyrim where fps drops really bad.. i've uploaded a video.
View: https://vimeo.com/330049588?fbclid=IwAR245XzqecpLEgMrfJR9w-9piriJ_KOqiDimb7SZxcwqnk3GRBytyc4aBuU

Last edited:
My guess is your monitor is a 75hz panel and you have vsync turned on in the game. That would limit you max fps to 75. This is why it does not go above 75 and that is okay. Because your monitor can only show 75 frames per second.

Due to their age, Skyrim and Crysis 3 are not the best games to test modern hardware as there will be little reference points. You can find a lot of information on current AAA games and how they perform with a 1070ti, but Skyrim is 8 years old. It came out long before the 1070ti was even an idea. So you wont be able to compare your fps in that game to others as a comparison would be with very old hardware.

Same for Path of Exile. It is a free to play game that can run on a potato. It is not a good game to compare performance. I suggest trying some modern AAA games. Particularly with an included benchmark.

Go to userbenchmark.com and run a bench. Leave a link here with your results as it will show us if your hardware is working as it should.

Lastly, when you downloaded the drivers, you may have downloaded the 2400g graphics drivers and the 1070ti drivers. Multiple graphics drivers can cause an issue. In theory, it should not matter because the iGPU is disabled, but it may be worth checking out. Use the DDU tool below in safemode to delete the AMD drives on teh 2400g.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html