[SOLVED] Fps drops

Jul 2, 2019
Hello i have a problem.. my CPU usage drops in game and as a result of that i get bad fps my cpu is not gone bad or anything i have this cpu just for 5 months or so and i dont where to look to fix the problem.. i have read somewhere that the psu can gone bad so that couldnbe a reason i guess but help me !!

Specs:
MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB
AMD FX 8350 eight core 4GHZ
ASROCK motherboard
550 watt PSU
8GB RAM

Solution
It's very possible there's physical damage to the motherboard and you're getting throttling (which is why it's recommended you look at usage). That your CPU temperatures are fine (you can only really get halfway accurate AMD readings using Overdrive) doesn't mean it's not throttling. Or worse.

Unfortunately, you really skipped some major safety steps when making your upgrades. Step one of any upgrade is to figure out what your power needs are and make sure you have safe and sufficient power. That you don't even know what PSU you have is extremely concerning! It's a bit like a doctor giving you a blood transfusion without finding out what your blood type is.

Second, you took a motherboard that isn't designed to run any 125W CPUs...
Jul 2, 2019
Model is: Asrock 960gm vgs3 fx

Temps while gaming are not higher then 50/60 degrees.. psu model i dont know.. its not a high end psu thats for sure its just a psu that came with the prebuild before i upgraded my hardware (exept for psu and mobo

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Can you please explain which game or games you are playing when your FPS slow down.

Also if you run MSI Afterburner and enable the OSD (on screen display) to show your GPU and CPU usage in each game so that we can see which are struggling.

What is your RAM speed also?

Thanks

Andy

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's very possible there's physical damage to the motherboard and you're getting throttling (which is why it's recommended you look at usage). That your CPU temperatures are fine (you can only really get halfway accurate AMD readings using Overdrive) doesn't mean it's not throttling. Or worse.

Unfortunately, you really skipped some major safety steps when making your upgrades. Step one of any upgrade is to figure out what your power needs are and make sure you have safe and sufficient power. That you don't even know what PSU you have is extremely concerning! It's a bit like a doctor giving you a blood transfusion without finding out what your blood type is.

Second, you took a motherboard that isn't designed to run any 125W CPUs and you installed...a 125W CPU.

The CPU's probably fine, but it would not be surprising if this motherboard was on its last legs. The first thing I would do is underclock this CPU. Knock it down to 3.3 GHz so that you're roughly emulating a CPU that this motherboard can handle.

Solution