Question FPS drops

Sep 3, 2019
Don't know how to name this problem tbh... After I cleaned dust from my pc case, and after doing cable managment and after putting new thermal paste on CPU, i have noticed that in a lot of games fps is dropping drastically. Example: Before this, I had around 300fps in CSGO, and now only 180 with a lot of frame drops and stutters. Not only in cs, in all other games. And this is only in 1024p resolution, (i have 19 inch 5:4 monitor) dont wanna talk about higher. It goes up to 90. I have a descent pc, RX 590 8gb and R3 2200G with 16gb of ram, psu is 600W and it's brand new bought a week ago... HELP!!! 😢😢

Sounds like it might be a thermal issue. You might have applied thermal compound poorly. Pull the CPU cooler off and thoroughly clean the bottom of the cooler and the top of the CPU. Use rubbing alcohol until the metal surface is completely clean. Then apply a small amount, about the size of a pea or a line the length of a long grain of rice and apply the CPU cooler so that it is tight, but not causing stress on the board. Then see how it works.

You probably didn't need to replace the factory thermal compound.

Sep 3, 2019
Sounds like it might be a thermal issue. You might have applied thermal compound poorly. Pull the CPU cooler off and thoroughly clean the bottom of the cooler and the top of the CPU. Use rubbing alcohol until the metal surface is completely clean. Then apply a small amount, about the size of a pea or a line the length of a long grain of rice and apply the CPU cooler so that it is tight, but not causing stress on the board. Then see how it works.

You probably didn't need to replace the factory thermal compound.
My pc was at the repairer, and I still have a warranty... Problem is, I have already replaced the paste 2 times now, and it's still the same problem. Bunch of pc's went through my hands, and this is a first time I have encountered this problem. Temperature is 43 degrees, so that shouldn't be a problem. I ran out of solutions, even they did exactly what I did and therefore, it's not better.

Is that 43 degrees idle or 43 degrees while under load? Because 43 degrees idle is pretty warm. Is it an air cooler or liquid?

There are a number of things that might cause a massive drop in framerates. The whole thermal thing is pretty much the first line, and as you changed the thermal compound that was the best place to start. So, what else were you doing when you noticed the change? Were there updates? Driver changes? Software installs? Razer Chroma by any chance?

Next, what are the temps like on the GPU? Are those good?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS