Question FPS freezes and spikes in Witcher 3 on a decent PC

Jul 11, 2019
Hi, not so long ago I encountered with freezings or spikes or fps drops in Witcher 3 game. Here you can see an example
View: https://youtu.be/Acgj-fBOUUw

My PC has the next specs (was bought 8 month ago):
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz,
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB,
MBD: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming,
PSU: BE QUIET! Pure Power 11 600W,
RAM: HYPERX Fury Black DDR4 2933MHz 16GB Kit 2x8GB,
HDD: WD Blue 1TB, SSD CRUCIAL
SSD: MX500 250GB
Also I play on 60hz monitor, 1920x1080 resolution using vsync in games.
Nothing is overclocked now, but for the first 5 month my cpu worked on 4.2 frequency. Since I built my PC by myself, I didn't know that I should put "Default" value instead of "Auto" (which was by default) to the CPU frequency in BIOS, to make it work on stock 3.6 frequency. So maybe I'm facing concequences of it now.
All the temperatures are ok. GPU is never more than 71 celsium, cpu - never more than 60C (even when it was overclocked).
PC itself works fine, no random reboots/shutdowns or something.

So, I was playing Witcher 3 for about 5-6 month, and everything was smooth, fine and cool. But then, 2-3 month ago, I updated my old Windows 10 version (that time it was some old version of 2017 year), to the newest one. And fps problems (such as on the video) occured.

I almost give up, because I don't know how to fix this. Things I've tried:
  • Updated to the newest video drivers
  • Used older versions of video drivers (I tried 388, 418, and some other versions)
  • Reinstalled windows fully. Tried to play on the fresh reinstalled windows, where only Steam and Witcher was installed
  • Played with different settings in NVIDIA Control Panel
  • Disabled Vsync
  • Moved the game from HDD to SSD
  • Deleted my old saves and create the new ones
Also, I would like to add, that such GREAT fps problem occurs only in Witcher 3. I have some bad performance with PUBG and AC:Origins (but fps drops only to 55 there, and these games are pretty bad optimized, as far as I know). Such games as Apex Legends, GTA5, Dark Souls 3, Devil May Cry 5, NBA 2K19 works smoothly perfectly.

So I really need some help. Any suggestions of reasons/ways to fix this are very appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: