Question FPS / GPU Randomly drops to 0% (from 90fps to 0-10) back to normal, what do i do?

Mar 18, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am not a technological guy so please bare with me, i have a Predator Helios 300 (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, DDR4) i have had for a few months. I have been playing FPS games specifically Rust and Dayz, and my FPS will randomly Plummet from about 80-90 (normal fps) to about 5, spiking back up to normal after about 2-3 seconds of basically Freezing.

I have seen similar posts but not with my specific system, so here i am asking for your help! It is very frustrating this issue!

Thank you in advance,

Nate.

Download MSI Afterburner (Yes its for overclocking but it also has system monitoring tools) and let it run in the background while you game. Then report back with the thermals of both your GPU and CPU.

Doing a quick search it seems like most gaming laptops that its prone to thermal throttling, which can explain your frame drops.

Mar 18, 2020
Download MSI Afterburner (Yes its for overclocking but it also has system monitoring tools) and let it run in the background while you game. Then report back with the thermals of both your GPU and CPU.

Doing a quick search it seems like most gaming laptops that its prone to thermal throttling, which can explain your frame drops.
I have Predator Sense i think thats relatively the same thing? Here is an image of my current stats (WHILE GAMING)
View: https://imgur.com/a/C7Ch5x8

Keep it in Celsius please, yes I like Freedom units like every other American but CPU/GPU temps are listed traditionally in Celcius.

And yeah you are thermal throttling like nuts. First try and put the back of the laptop up on something so it sits at an angle with a gap underneath, a block of wood, plastic etc will work. You want to try and create airflow.

As suggest by Phaaze88 another option is to buy a cooling pad. Basically its a pad with fans that force air up through the vent on the bottom.

There's nothing you can really do besides those two thigns to improve thermals. Some people have successfully replaced the thermal compound with liquid metal in laptop . But that requires taking the laptop apart and even then you have to be careful with how you apply it since liquid metal is conductive, corrosive to aluminum and will run if the laptop is stores vertically (people have ways of preventing damage by coating the components directly around the cCPU with nail polish/kapton tape/conformal coating. Any of these will void the warranty.

Mar 18, 2020
Sweet Mother of Betsy, both the cpu and gpu are thermal throttling!
Are you not using a cooling pad, or what?

Thank you for letting me know,
I am using a KILM Cooling pad, which is 5 fans + 3" raise in rear. vents are clean.

Keep it in Celsius please, yes I like Freedom units like every other American but CPU/GPU temps are listed traditionally in Celcius.

And yeah you are thermal throttling like nuts. First try and put the back of the laptop up on something so it sits at an angle with a gap underneath, a block of wood, plastic etc will work. You want to try and create airflow.

As suggest by Phaaze88 another option is to buy a cooling pad. Basically its a pad with fans that force air up through the vent on the bottom.

There's nothing you can really do besides those two thigns to improve thermals. Some people have successfully replaced the thermal compound with liquid metal in laptop . But that requires taking the laptop apart and even then you have to be careful with how you apply it since liquid metal is conductive, corrosive to aluminum and will run if the laptop is stores vertically (people have ways of preventing damage by coating the components directly around the cCPU with nail polish/kapton tape/conformal coating. Any of these will void the warranty.

As i replied to phaaze, thank you very much for the insight!
I am using a KILM cooling pad, all fans on high, vents clear, etc. (has around a 3" raise in the rear [where vents are located])
Haha yes rather not void warranty...

Celcius the CPU is 95 the GPU is 90
My room is 68 degrees F.

Additional Notes:
i Figured heat was an issue, my keyboard at times gets so hot it actually causes skin irritation on my fingers if i press down to hard.

Thank you for letting me know,
I am using a KILM Cooling pad, which is 5 fans + 3" raise in rear. vents are clean.

As i replied to phaaze, thank you very much for the insight!
I am using a KILM cooling pad, all fans on high, vents clear, etc. (has around a 3" raise in the rear [where vents are located])
Haha yes rather not void warranty...

Celcius the CPU is 95 the GPU is 90
My room is 68 degrees F.

Additional Notes:
i Figured heat was an issue, my keyboard at times gets so hot it actually causes skin irritation on my fingers if i press down to hard.

I forgot to mention you could try and down clock/undervolt both your CPU and GPU to lower temps.