Commendable
May 16, 2020
MOBO - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev 5.0)
AMD-FX 6100
2x4GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 950
Corsair CV550

Windows 10 2004

Basically I Identically replaced the motherboard, bought a new PSU, fresh install of windows , all drivers updated, windows updated, havent done a BIOS update due to the fact Ive never done one before.
Everything works fine other then the fps. Previous motherboard (before pci e slot died) worked at about 170 fps on Overwatch (low settings) now on this motherboard its very low and fluctuates alot anywhere from 70-150+. I notice low gpu usage in task manager but I have no idea what causing it. Also happens in other games like valorant I supposed to get 180fps+ but get under 90. Not sure what to do next please help! Thanks.

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
That’s getting close to the max temperature for that cpu. Does the cpu speed (GHz) drop under gaming load?
Wrong temp sorry, was reading TMPIN2 which is the northbridge max temp.
Ok ran overwatch with hw monitor, CPU mhz all six cores stable 3314mhz
cpu temp 45-55c

3.3GHz under load suggests it is not boosting at all. While I don’t expect it to hit the max boost of 3.9GHz as that’s only single core I would expect some level of boosting. I’m not sure what the all core boost speed is for this cpu and couldn’t find it. Is the BIOS up to date?

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
3.3GHz under load suggests it is not boosting at all. While I don’t expect it to hit the max boost of 3.9GHz as that’s only single core I would expect some level of boosting. I’m not sure what the all core boost speed is for this cpu and couldn’t find it. Is the BIOS up to date?
I think thats normal, 3.9ghz being the overclocked speed. which ive never used before. Bios is first version F1, there is an F4 version but Ive never done a bios update before, given i dont know how to and theres a risk too it.
P.S. I wonder if underload its meant to go around 3.5ghz I vaguely remember seeing that speed on my last mobo. I could be miss remembering though.

I think thats normal, 3.9ghz being the overclocked speed. which ive never used before. Bios is first version F1, there is an F4 version but Ive never done a bios update before, given i dont know how to and theres a risk too it.
P.S. I wonder if underload its meant to go around 3.5ghz I vaguely remember seeing that speed on my last mobo. I could be miss remembering though.
The boost speed is not overclocking, the cpu can boost past its base speed but how far depends on usage, temperature, power and how many cores are in use. 3.5GHz would seem more reasonable if all cores were being used. If me I’d update to the latest BIOS.

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
The boost speed is not overclocking, the cpu can boost past its base speed but how far depends on usage, temperature, power and how many cores are in use. 3.5GHz would seem more reasonable if all cores were being used. If me I’d update to the latest BIOS.
Ok thanks for the info, tomorrow ill try boost to 3.5ghz, Ill have to monitor the temps, I currently have a standard cpu fan on it. Got the old gaming heatsink in storage. Thank you for your help! will update tomorrow.

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
Ok went into bios and set boost speed overclocked max 3.9ghz currently max running at 3.615mhz but under load it still fluctuates all over the place 3314mhz , still crappy fps. I dont know much about PSU's but from what ive been told the corsair CV is a very basic powersupply and wonder I buy a cosair CX650w will that fix it?

Ok went into bios and set boost speed overclocked max 3.9ghz currently max running at 3.615mhz but under load it still fluctuates all over the place 3314mhz , still crappy fps. I dont know much about PSU's but from what ive been told the corsair CV is a very basic powersupply and wonder I buy a cosair CX650w will that fix it?
You should not need to adjust anything in the BIOS to get the boost working, it should work at default settings. While the CV range are poor this does not seem like a psu problem. Did you update the BIOS?

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
No I don't know how too, never done it before.
BUMP*
Thought the issue was with windows 10 chewing up some resources so I down graded to windows 7 but same problem. I think its a hardware issue either CPU, MOBO, or GPU failing (gpu is likely due to it being an OC version and I bought it second hand) however I get good fps for example in overwatch 150-180fps in Training or arcade mode, but when Inside a game it drops to below 70 and fluctuates all over the place, same issue in other online multiplayer games.

How do I test which piece of hardware its causing the issue Ive never run into this issue before. Now under load the max temps in Hardware monitor TMPIN 0 = 43c TMPIN 1 = 68c TMPIN 2 = 73c
AMD FX 6100 = 57c
Im assuming TMPIN 0 is CPU temp but it doesn't match the temp. TMPIN 1 motherboard temp? TMPIN 2 is northbridge temp?
Not sure what I should do next to resolve the issue.
Any advice would be appreciated, Cheers

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
Bump.*
Update*
Installed an AMD fx 6300, latest Windows 10 updated and updated bios to F3 (latest one)
Tried overclocking to 3.8+mhz and 1.5v but still low FPS issues
Do not know what to look for next all i want is stable fps, I should see in overwatch min 150fps on low settings but it drops constantly unstable to 80-120. fps.
any one able to offer some help thanks