[SOLVED] fps in games drop from 120 to 1 on ssd, but is fine with hdd

Dec 24, 2019
hello, so i bought a new laptop, it had an hdd, so i replaced with the ssd of my last laptop. i noticed the the fps in all games are dropping for no reason so i thought it's just the gpu drivers from the old laptop messing with everything. after reinstalling windows the same issue remained, however when i used the hdd, the fps was fine with no drops. temperatures are perfect and there aren't any spikes in it during the fps drops. I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong, since the problem isn;t in the ssd since i bought a new and the same happened. specs: intel core i5 7200u. nvidia geforce 940mx. 8gb ram,

Solution
If you took the SSD from your old laptop, and installed it into your new laptop, you'll be lucky if anything will work correctly. You cannot just take a boot drive from one system and install it into a completely different system.

Right now, Windows is booting up from the SSD with all the information from the old laptop - it's attempting to use whatever drivers were appropriate to the old system, not the new one. It will TRY to fix itself, but generally can't do that.

After swapping the SSD to your new system, you need to do a clean install of Windows 10, including installing all the correct drivers appropriate to the new laptop's hardware.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you took the SSD from your old laptop, and installed it into your new laptop, you'll be lucky if anything will work correctly. You cannot just take a boot drive from one system and install it into a completely different system.

Right now, Windows is booting up from the SSD with all the information from the old laptop - it's attempting to use whatever drivers were appropriate to the old system, not the new one. It will TRY to fix itself, but generally can't do that.

After swapping the SSD to your new system, you need to do a clean install of Windows 10, including installing all the correct drivers appropriate to the new laptop's hardware.

Solution
Dec 24, 2019

Yeah I wrote that I made clean windows install multiple times, as well I bought a new ssd because I thought that my old one just broke or something. However the same thing happened again and again, but as soon as I installed Windows on my hdd it was all fine. And the thing is didn't find a single case like that online, so I'm really confused.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ooop, yeah, missed that part in the middle.

That is weird - or weird because, while I can imagine some issues with Windows trying to do a bunch of updates in the background after a clean install, you'd run into the same problem with the HDD as well if that was the case.

Since it's just fine when you try the same thing with the HDD, I'll admit, I'm kind of stumped on this...