Question FPS increase in CS:GO is not as high as I expected ?

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone, so i just started messing with graphic settings to increase my FPS in CS:GO but i was expecting a lot more.

So before i even started reducing the graphic settings in CS:GO, with all settings at high i was getting about 360fps which i think is good.

After reducing cs:go settings to medium i got 388fps. I then changed all settings to low and reached max fps 400.

I then disabled some settings in cs:go and still got max 400, exactly 400 not even 1 fps more.

I then made some changes to the nvidia GPU (these are settings i applied) and again i got max fps 400, again not even 1 fps more.

Obviously something is stopping it from going above 400fps, otherwise why each time it gives me max fps of 400? Btw i am using the windows 10 gaming bar to check my performance.

SPECS:
  1. AMD RYZEN 9 3900X
  2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
  3. ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 SUPER OC 8GB
  4. Gskill TRIDENT RGB 32GB DDR4 K2 32 GTZR
  5. SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB
  6. AUROS FI32Q monitor
  7. Game resolution: 2560x1440 for all above settings

Last edited:
cpu and ram is your bottleneck
here example of ram settings on csgo
cgsPLHc.png

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Likely, you have reached the frame generation capability of your cpu.
CSGO is heavy on the cpu and may only use a few of your 24 threads.
As a simple test, run the cpu-Z bench and look at your single thread performance rating.
It should be about 569:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/9ly8hi
Ok, i will do that, one more thing regarding the CPU...what shall i expect from my CPU usage while playing cs:go

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Look at things from a different angle.
Depending on settings, the gpu can either match the pace, or be slower than the cpu+ram(they work in tandem). It can never be faster than them, as it is last in the pipeline that delivers frames to your screen.

CS:GO is bound by single core performance. Well, that's most games actually, so the statement of the gpu being more important for everything is false.

Look at things from a different angle.
Depending on settings, the gpu can either match the pace, or be slower than the cpu+ram(they work in tandem). It can never be faster than them, as it is last in the pipeline that delivers frames to your screen.

CS:GO is bound by single core performance. Well, that's most games actually, so the statement of the gpu being more important for everything is false.
it depends on game, gpu offloads lots of stuffs from CPU already, but generaly low gpu usage = cpu bottleneck, high gpu usage = gpu bottleneck

Sep 10, 2022
GPU usage is a lot higher than CPU when playing, GPU its about 80% CPU IS 15%

I got the exact identical 400 fps max case, my fps range between 380-390 solid,

6800 xt, 5600 x.

I started to think we don’t actually have problem here it could be just driver thing or setting thing.

we don’t have 420hz monitor, but we both curious what happened, lol

my case if you wanna read

as far as I read all the comments and ways many people wanted to help, which should be appreciated, it’s kinda not that helpful since no one really know what’s happening but we all make assumptions.

Trust me man I am 100% nothing is really bottlenecking everything on my system and boom, 400fps max LOL.

My CPU temp is dead low, my GPU fans barely spinning, CS GO doesn’t push mid to high end system at all, it is a game that can still run at all ultra very high setting even if we run it on cheap gaming laptop, or say, 6 years old GTX.

Sep 10, 2022
And i thought i had a good CPU and RAMs that i wouldnt actually put to full use

Myself got 5600x + 3800 cl 16-16-16-34 LMAO. And I got 400fps too.

CPU RAM bottleneck? Nah, my cpu score more than average at all benchmark, my ram too 😂

I attached them all on my thread if you keen to check and get bit of a relieve.

Sep 10, 2022
Likely, you have reached the frame generation capability of your cpu.
CSGO is heavy on the cpu and may only use a few of your 24 threads.
As a simple test, run the cpu-Z bench and look at your single thread performance rating.
It should be about 569:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/9ly8hi

My single core score on that app reached 650,

and I got 400 fps too, running b-die too, 3800mhz, cl 16 flat, latency below 50ns. 😂

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I dont really think this is a bottleneck due to the fact that fps is limited to 400fps, not a single fps more and this happens every time. If it was a bottleneck shouldnt i get readings of lets say 401fps at least once?

Btw this guy has the same issue

Question on Quora: Why is CS:GO capped at 400fps? My friend has a Ryzen 9 5950x and RTX 3090, he went to the lowest settings to see the max fps, he thought it would be a lot but it’s capped at400fps, why so? https://www.quora.com/Why-is-CS-GO-...are=ac101180&srid=uWgfb3&target_type=question

Last edited:

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Found it

Looks like CS:GO has fps capped at 400fps by default

I typed in the console "fps_max 999"
And now i am getting 897 fps.
I dont know if this is a good thing though, i should probably observe and see what my average fps are now and set it at about that value so that i do not get those fps spikes.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
Found it

Looks like CS:GO has fps capped at 400fps by default

I typed in the console "fps_max 999"
And now i am getting 897 fps.
I dont know if this is a good thing though, i should probably observe and see what my average fps are now and set it at about that value so that i do not get those fps spikes.

What console? If any I will limit it at 240 lol, because being honest nothing wrong for that fps being capped and since my monitor is 144hz, I see no reason for the system to produce a lot more, it ain’t improving anything

So, I was right too saying that NOTHING is bottlenecking anything but a god damn setting and ways people talking here and there going around and roung, just making false assumption, sometimes got me thinking, this forum kind of environment, often, instead of getting solutions, if listen to all random assumptions we could actually get more headache 😂

Last edited:

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
You can find the CS:GO console by activating in the settings.

Once you activated the console click ~

For CS:GO most players suggest not limiting the fps

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
You can find the CS:GO console by activating in the settings.

Once you activated the console click ~

For CS:GO most players suggest not limiting the fps

Man honestly then most CS GO players don’t understand the relationship between Screen refresh rate, and frame rate produced by a system. Trust me, any FPS thrown above that screen you got there, is a waste, it doesn’t improve gaming performance at all.

but you do what you gotta do man. Myself would just limit my fps to minimum 144 max 240 lol.