[SOLVED] FPS is lower than expected with an i9-11900F ?

Jan 13, 2022
Hey

I was hoping someone would know the answer to this.

I have bought this cpu now and have owned it for over a month. I have been watching game benchmark videos and have tried the same games on my PC with a 30 fps difference! This included Watch Dogs Legion which struggled to get past 50fps. When using rivatuner to monitor usage this shows the GPU at 60%use but CPU far higher.

I have did a test via GeekBench this morning and both my single and multi core performance are significantly lower than they should be (1686 single core and 6694 multi core).

I know for certain that this isn’t an overheating issue as the cooler is well more than capable and the temperatures never exceed 70 degrees under 100 load.

is there anything you can suggest to try to see why I am getting such a low level of performance?

One thing to add is I was watching CoreTemp during this and the cpu never passed 100W which seems low considering it peaks at 260W. Any way to fix this?

My RAM as well is exceptionally poor but surely this wouldn’t have a massive knock on to the level it is? Or could it be my SSD but everything is mainly on the NVMe one?

could it be something stupid I’ve done ie not changed something in BIOS? Or do I need to unlock power limits in my bios if so how do I go about changing the right settings?

specs
Intel core i9-11900F
Nvidia RTX 3070 ti
850W Corsair TX Psu
2x 8gb ADATA 2666mhz ram - xmp not supported
480GB ADATA SSD
1TB SN550 NVME
Dark rock pro 4 cooler
B560M bazooka mobo

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Solution
Question: Did you reinstall Windows? Motherboard/CPU swaps are the only HW swaps where I recommend a full re-install; Windows can get confused to holy hell when you do a CPU/motherboard transplant.

RAM could be a factor depending on the game; I've seen games eat through 16GB like it's nothing. Easy enough to check if you are capped out via task manager; if you see RAM usage near 100% and a ton of HDD activity, that could be your problem.
Question: Did you reinstall Windows? Motherboard/CPU swaps are the only HW swaps where I recommend a full re-install; Windows can get confused to holy hell when you do a CPU/motherboard transplant.

RAM could be a factor depending on the game; I've seen games eat through 16GB like it's nothing. Easy enough to check if you are capped out via task manager; if you see RAM usage near 100% and a ton of HDD activity, that could be your problem.

Reactions: Ai90
Solution