Fps is very unstable, GPU never gets utilized 100%

emilhermansen

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
System specs:

Windows 10 Home (fresh install)
i7 4770k @ 4GHz (stock voltage)
ASUS Sabertooth Z87
2x8 (16GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @1600MHz (XMP)
ASUS GTX 970 Strix DirectCU 2
Corsair CX750m PSU (semi modular)
Samsung 840 PRO 128gb SSD (system drive)
Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD (mass storage)

About last week or so before this began I installed a second GTX 970 into my system, but I decided to take it back out because of the poor performance (micro stuttering, random fps drops etc. and not to mention the noise!) After I took the second GPU out again I was expecting the system to work just like before, but it was just like the SLI setup was still activated. Micro stutter, weird v-sync problems (or adaptive sync rather, 144hz G-sync monitor), it feels and looks like I only have like ~20-30 fps, even though the OSD reports 90-120 (RTSS, MSI afterburner). I also set up the OSD so that is shows the current load on the CPU and GPU.

This is where it gets really weird. No matter how light or heavy of a load the graphics card is under the fps is never stable. Even if I cap the fps at 60 it just drops to ~45 and back to 60, and then down again. The core load is never stable, and the core load never reaches 99% for more than half a second. Even in Superposition it never reaches 99% during the test, but when it finishes it says gpu utilization was 99 or 100%. Windows also reports the GPU at 99 or 100 in task manager, but the OSD (Afterburner is monitoring the resource usage, and RTSS is displaying it on the screen while in-game.) shows the core load at about 95% to 50%, and it fluctuates ALOT along with the fps. The correlation is clear. But what is the issue?

Any suggestions are appreciated!