[SOLVED] FPS issue with RTX 2060

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite_

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place for this post as I didn't find a gaming thread.

My pc : ryzen 5 2600 , rtx 2060 , 16gb DDR3 3200

The problem I have is with AC Valhalla.

I'm playing on 1080p res and high settings which I'm sure my pc is capable of handling and reach 55 to 65 fps as I saw on YT

What I'm getting is only 41 fps maximum but the thing is my GPU usage doesn't exceed 75% and CPU is something like 40 to 60 % as I remember.

So basically for some reason the game is not fully utilizing my GPU, I have vsync on which is not a problem because in Cyberpunk I have it enabled to cap at 60fps since my monitor is 60HZ and the GPU usage is like 98% so this game is fully utilizing my GPU totally fine unlike Valhalla.

I did almost every troubleshooting to fix it in game settings, drivers up tp date , windows up to date.

Valhalla version is 1.1.2

Any suggestions on what might be the reason ?

Thanks in advance

Solution
You are making a very common mistake, and thats regarding usage. Usage is not how much of the gpu is used but how much resources it uses.

Basically in both games the gpu is fully 100% utilized, but only needs to use 75% of its vram, 75% of its power capacity, 75% of its rendering capabilities etc in order to propagate all the pixels on screen at your chosen detail settings. The fact that Cyberpunk uses 95% means it's using everything and anything and is close to being a bottleneck.

It's like hammering a nail into drywall, you'll still use 100% of your hand, wrist, arm muscles, but you'll not need to use 100% of the strength of those muscles. You aren't gripping the hammer as tight as you possibly can, you aren't swinging...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are making a very common mistake, and thats regarding usage. Usage is not how much of the gpu is used but how much resources it uses.

Basically in both games the gpu is fully 100% utilized, but only needs to use 75% of its vram, 75% of its power capacity, 75% of its rendering capabilities etc in order to propagate all the pixels on screen at your chosen detail settings. The fact that Cyberpunk uses 95% means it's using everything and anything and is close to being a bottleneck.

It's like hammering a nail into drywall, you'll still use 100% of your hand, wrist, arm muscles, but you'll not need to use 100% of the strength of those muscles. You aren't gripping the hammer as tight as you possibly can, you aren't swinging it as hard as you possibly could.

It's not the gpu.

Cpu = fps. Gpu = eye candy. The gpu can only put onscreen what the gpu gives it. So if the gpu is strong enough to get you your detail levels, the cpu is only giving the gpu 41fps on average.

So that's what you'll need to look into. Why so low comparitvely. Xbox DVR, windows store, slow ISP, cpu clock speeds, ram speeds, storage differences (they might have nvme, and you might have hdd), what else is using cpu resources, global settings such as grass detail or viewing distance, pre-rendered frames (default is 3, performance is 1) etc.

Reactions: Elite_
Solution

Elite_

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
thanks for the explanation mate.

the thing is I used to play this game ( Valhalla ) and i got like 30 min of very smooth 60FPS stable ( in the same places on the map where the FPS drop appear ) so that's why I'm saying my PC is capable and my R5 2600 is more than enough I believe.

with what you are saying I should see like 90%+ CPU usage ( since this is the max it can give to my GPU ) but what I get is like 30 to 40% CPU usage ( the above CPU usage I mentioned in original post was not accurate )

what u think ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

I'd run through your settings, look for anything you think has been changed, like Xbox DVR re-enabled etc, but other than that It looks more like you are a victim.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it's a cracked copy of the game, no one can/will help you any further. Software Piracy is not only frowned upon, it's illegal and cooperation or help by anyone at Tom's Hardware or its affiliates implies agreement that Software Piracy is tolerated. Which is not the case.

Sorry. But good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.