FPS issues CPU related or graphics card?

CollySulJin

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I've been having some FPS issues recently with my games - I didn't have any when I first got the computer about two and a half years ago, but the problems are increasing. I'm thinking there may be a lot of issues that I'm having that I need to fix.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz

Windows 7 premium

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Total available graphics memory 2811 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1787 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.961.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
2811 MB Total available graphics memory

I'm pretty sure my specs aren't bad.

So, in Diablo 3, WoW, Portal 2, Skyrim, and some other games I've been playing, I've been having a lot of FPS issues - although, I don't believe my graphics card is low end, is it?

Even if I low my settings in WoW or Diablo 3, I sometimes maintain the same FPS. I can hold 50 FPS on max settings in Diablo 3 with lowest settings AND max settings in the same area, so I'm wondering if the FPS lagg is due to my CPU or something.

I don't really know what to do, and I'm open to suggestions. I've tried some overclocking, and that isn't improving much either. Actually, if I overclock my CPU, I improve performance in D3 but I lower my locked framerate; I.E.: increasing mhz by +10 will make me hold a steady 55 fps rather than 60 fps.

I suppose it is worth noting that I have a virus that I can't rid my computer of. It has corrupted my winlogon.exe, atieclxx.exe, and csrss.exe programs, which, are vital system processes.
They have no description beside them in the processes window, and can't be shut down. It would be stupid to shut them down, obviously, but I can't even open the file location. I get an access denied error. I've tried formatting my hardrives and reinstalling windows SEVERAL times, but I can never clear it off. I don't know what to do, honestly. :<

Anybody have some advice on how to deal with these issues?

CollySulJin

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I don't know what model my power supply is - how can I check?
I'm fairly sure I have the latest graphics drivers.

Temp runs around 35c idle 48c active according to CCC.

Open the side of your computer, and check the label on the large box that is either on the top or bottom of the case.

Should be similar to this:
power-supply-in-case.jpg

CollySulJin

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Regarding that, I don't really know what to do at this point, since a full harddrive wipe and reinstallation of windows didn't solve anything.

Well despite it not being the greatest power supply, its not the main source of your problem. It should run your components fine. Your graphics card should also be fine. Its either a 5750 or a 5770, both of which are decent mid-range cards. It would only maybe hold you back in Skyrim, but I have a 5770 system that plays Skyrim fine, so its probably not that either.

CollySulJin

Honorable
May 18, 2012

What I said prior about not being to access their file location, and general things I read about the issues I was having. I've read that its ingrained in the registry, but when I go into regedit I can never find the registries that are mentioned generally based on OS differences or just the fact that I have little experience with registries. I can link you some pictures or something if you want.

That's why I suspected the power supply, because if the card is not getting enough juice, most of the time it is because the card is not getting enough power. But It did not seem like the power supply was the case.

CollySulJin

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Did you get my PM?