FPS locking to 45

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Hello

So I bought a new GPU for my pc (Gigabyte GTX 1080) a while back and in general it's been working well. But there's one bug that keeps bothering me in pretty much all games. When something particularly taxing happens on screen and my FPS drops from steady 60, to say 40 or so sometimes the fps counter gets stuck to 45.
Ex. I was playing Skyrim SE today and had a dragon do a frost breathe attack. During it I had my fps go to sub 40 and after it was over it got back to 45 and stayed there. The only way to fix this is to change from (windowed) borderless to fullscreen, vice versa or restart the game.

Now 45fps wouldn't be that bad if the game didn't feel like it was running at 45fps for one seconds and then the next at sub 30 or 20. It's difficult to explain, but I get a ton of input lag, my mouse movement becomes very choppy and obviously the framerate becomes laggy since I was getting 60 before.

I'm not an expert but I reckon it's either HW related or a driver problem since it happens in multiple games and the symptoms are the same.

Edit: I have the latest drivers from Nvidia and I have done a clean install everytime, but the problem persists. So maybe not driver related?

Neur0nauT

Admirable
Another guy had the exact same issue a day or so ago, He was getting a steady 60 on his 1080 until he rebooted, then it would hover around 45fps.... and he figured out that it was the MSI gaming app that was affecting his FPS. Which he had installed from the provided DVD. Not sure if Gigabyte have a similar app, but you could try completely uninstalling any software to do with your manufacturer and just install the Nvidia drivers directly to see if it helps?

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello!

What are your settings in the Nvidia control panel (VSync)?
What is your GPU temperature?
What is your CPU temperature?
What is your GPU doing in terms of clock speed, core usage and power usage?
How much RAM do you have?
What is your PSU?

We need to know the above details so then we can get a full idea of what is going on :)

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
What are your settings in the Nvidia control panel (VSync)?
Vsync is set to use 3d option and triple buffering is off, both globally

What is your GPU temperature?
GPU Temps are nominal never above 70c, todays max seems to be 62c, idle at 30c +/- 3c

What is your CPU temperature?
CPU max temp is 57c under gameplay, idle at 30c +/- 2c

What is your GPU doing in terms of clock speed, core usage and power usage?

Max clock speed I've seen is 2100 at 1.062V but it usually hovers around 2088 at 1.049V
GPU core usage max at 100% and under gameplay about 70-80%
GPU power max is at 106%, usually under same 70-80%

How much RAM do you have? 16gigs of DDR3 @1600MHz
What is your PSU? EVGA 650w Supernova G1

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

Nope W7, I'm currently testing if uninstalling Afterburner helped. I did have an old beta version of it so that could be it.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

i'm not too sure what is happening here, have you tried setting your power plan in the nvidia control panel to optimal?
That means it will only use what it needs and nothing more, worth giving that a go i reckon.

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Removing the old beta version of MSI Afterburner seems to have worked. I had a game on for a good few hours and I didn't get the FPS locking glitch in any point. Still I'll test with different games which have suffered from this.