[SOLVED] FPS lower than expected

sona420lol

Prominent
Aug 31, 2018
So recently I bought myself a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max and alongside it a Ryzen 5 3600 to go along with my old RTX 2060 Super and 16 gigs of DDR4

However, the issues arose when I started booting up my old favorite games and did not get the performance I desired at all with such a setup.
Its not abysmal but not really the FPS I should be getting either after talking and googling around to see what people get with same-ish systems or even worse in games like Escape From Tarkov (around 55-80 fps) which is known for optimization issues but alas I digress.
Or so I feel like.

What I have tried so far were turning up power settings from windows and Nvidia to Maximum performance and 3D settings.
Helped a little but not too much

Clean install of Windows so no driver issues.
Updating Bios

Among a few other things.

Benchmarks give me decent results which would imply its not a hardware issue but rather a software and I am at a loss and dont know what to do at all.
At this point I think it might be a RAM issue.

Specs to recap

MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
RTX 2060 Super
Ryzen 5 3600
16g Of DDR 4 Ram (Dual channel)
Windows 10
2 SSD's
Dual monitor, 1080p

Benchmark below

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23906957

Mostly wanting a double check or a second hand opinion as I heavily feel like I am not getting the FPS I should be

Last edited:
Solution
What speed is your memory?

AMD Ryzen benefits greatly from fast memory. For example going from 2133 to 3200 could be as high as a 25-30 FPS difference depending on the game or at the very least going from lots of FPS dips to none.

Edit: So from double checking the benchmark your 3200mhz memory is only running at 2400. You need to make sure the sticks are in the proper slots (usually A2/B2) and that XMP is enabled in the BIOS. This will ensure that the memory is running at the correct speed, voltage & timings and should fix your performance issues.
Its not abysmal but not really the FPS I should be getting either after talking and googling around to see what people get with same-ish systems or even worse in games like Escape From Tarkov (around 55-80 fps) which is known for optimization issues but alas I digress.
Did you check what FPS your CPU gets with the games you are having issues with or did you assume from general benchmarks?!
Because almost all benchmarks you find are about AAA games at ultra settings which turns them into GPU benchmarks.

sona420lol

Prominent
Aug 31, 2018
RAM has a pretty poor score on ya benchmark

I noticed this aswell which had kinda led me thinking it might be a RAM issue but I wasn't so sure if it would affect it that much. I guess there's really no way of remedying it?

Did you check what FPS your CPU gets with the games you are having issues with or did you assume from general benchmarks?!
Because almost all benchmarks you find are about AAA games at ultra settings which turns them into GPU benchmarks.

Yes, for my CPU with the same GPU or even worse.
On user Benchmarks Tarkov would be running at an average of 80 fps with a 1060 and 3600 on high for example.

WildCard999

Titan

AMD Ryzen benefits greatly from fast memory. For example going from 2133 to 3200 could be as high as a 25-30 FPS difference depending on the game or at the very least going from lots of FPS dips to none.

Edit: So from double checking the benchmark your 3200mhz memory is only running at 2400. You need to make sure the sticks are in the proper slots (usually A2/B2) and that XMP is enabled in the BIOS. This will ensure that the memory is running at the correct speed, voltage & timings and should fix your performance issues.

Solution

sona420lol

Prominent
Aug 31, 2018

So it seems that the bios update might have turned my XMP off in the Bios and I turned it to profile 1 now making my ram run at 3200 essentially doubling my FPS in Tarkov
I feel a bit silly now but also relieved

Thank you!

E: I might aswell ask while I'm at it, should you use A-XMP profile 1 or 2 in the MSI Bios?

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
So it seems that the bios update might have turned my XMP off in the Bios and I turned it to profile 1 now making my ram run at 3200 essentially doubling my FPS in Tarkov
I feel a bit silly now but also relieved

Thank you!

E: I might aswell ask while I'm at it, should you use A-XMP profile 1 or 2 in the MSI Bios?
Glad its fixed, I had a similar issue awhile ago with mine but thankfully it's an easy fixed.

Either XMP profile should work.