FPS, Monitor Refresh Rate, and Issues

szeir

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hi All,

I apologize if this thread is in the wrong place, but I'm fairly new to TH.

I'm in the process of updating some components on my PC. I was looking into a new graphics card (I currently have a Radeon 7850 1GB) since my gameplay was usually full of screen tearing and stutter (even after v-sync). But the funny thing is I can play games such as League of Legends at about 150-200 fps, Battlefield 4 fluctuating about 60-75 fps, and other games that seem to go above 60 frames. After I ran FRAPS on these and saw I was getting great frames I figured I may not need a new graphics card.

My issue is that although I get get more than 60 frames in BF4, I still feel I'm not getting a smooth game. I've tried V-Sync since my monitor is only 60Hz refresh rate, but it seems to get worse. Now I'm not too knowledgeable about the graphics vs monitor vs frames, but I was thinking if I bought a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor that would make my gameplay a bit smoother.

If I could get a smooth 60 fps game that would be my ultimate goal, so I'm unsure if its something I can do with settings in AMD CCC or otherwise. Or does this mean I should get a new monitor? Thanks for your help!

Full Specs:

AsRock 970 Extreme3 1.7 MoBo
AMD FX-8350 CPU
AMD Radeon 7850 1GB GPU
16GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Asus 23' 60Hz 1920x1080 resolution monitor
750W PSU

Solution
Before you upgrade your monitor, try this setting in BF4 (or you can create a user.cfg file in your game folder and it will activate automatically every game):
gametime.maxvariablefps 60, or 59, or 59.94

I think that setting it to 59.94 will give you the best result.
This should lock your fps to the exact refresh rate of your monitor without using v-sync.
I still might experience some tearing or input delay, meaning you might have to change other settings as well.

Pr3di

Honorable
Before you upgrade your monitor, try this setting in BF4 (or you can create a user.cfg file in your game folder and it will activate automatically every game):
gametime.maxvariablefps 60, or 59, or 59.94

I think that setting it to 59.94 will give you the best result.
This should lock your fps to the exact refresh rate of your monitor without using v-sync.
I still might experience some tearing or input delay, meaning you might have to change other settings as well.

Solution

szeir

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012

Thanks for you help, I will definitely try that tonight and post some results!

szeir

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
I tried that, but it seemed to make it worse.

I did a check and it doesn't look like I'm getting 60-75, its more 40-50 ( I think I may have gotten the game wrong, I was FRAPSing a bunch).

I scaled down to 720, nothing changed. Changed to medium, still had some serious tearing and just overall lag. I've played this before at a good setting, just not sure what has changed.

Pr3di

Honorable
I found something else yesterday, and it seems to have improved my tearing.
Use the same command I gave you to set the max FPS to 58, and also turn Vsync on.
This should remove most of the tearing and input lag.